Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Tunic Restoration Project

Hi all.

After a few years collecting collecting Spanish Volunteer items, functional ww2 weapons and other German militaria I decided that I wanted to start collecting Waffen SS items.
    My aim was to obtain an original Waffen SS tunic, but soon I realized that 99% of the tunics offered for astronomical prices were restored or just made up Tunics, so eventually I have decided to purchase an stripped tunic which can be a nice restoration project

I have bought this stripped tunic (I paid for it more than what I wanted, but something strange happened during the auction with my bids.. and now it is mine).
    It is a basic M43 SS tunic, 5-button, 2-hole tunic, with a 2 step liner and horizontal first aid pocket button hole.. so a correct SS tunic in my opinion. The traces of the collar tabs and sleeve eagle are clear and there is no shadow of a former breast eagle, so I think it is something worth the effort.

My idea is restoring it using a machine woven Bevo runic collar tab and a machine woven sleeve eagle ( I like those more than the embroided version).
    I think those insignia would be correct for a late war tunic, what are your thoughts?

I would like to create a recon, artillery or infantry NCO ensemble, but the availability of the collar tresse is something that might ruin that idea. Any though about where to find it?

As there is no trace of Cufftitle from these pics, I have not planned the addition of one.

I have not decided yet whether if trying to hand apply the insignia, if using an old sewing machine or if sending it to someone experienced in these kind of restorations( which I think that might be the best option). If you know someone in Europe, it could help me.

I hope you like the tunic and I will try to share the progress and the results.
    Attached Files

I look forward to seeing how you get on with your project.With the current restrictions in Europe it should be time well spent.

Troy

Comment

Thank you Troy, but due to my job in the national security forces I have been working on shifts ( of more than 12 hours) so paradoxically I am now less time at home than ever.

Comment

I noticed this tunic on Ratisbons auction. Very nice indeed. Can’t wait to see the results.

Comment

like it

Comment

I would like to embark on a project like this one day so I shall be watching this thread with great interest.

I wish you great luck with this undertaking.

Comment

Interesting project and a very nice tunic. I saw another tunic on Hannahs Reich (...sold ) that also could be an alternative (low budget) instead of the very expensive tunics there are for sale:

"HEER / WSS M42 TUNIC
              An interesting tunic being of Heer origin and later used with SS insignia, now stripped it can be clearly seen where both sets of insignia were including a cuff title,
              artificial silk liner in excellent shape, marked with size block, RB.No.and depot mark, no damage to this jacket which has clearly seen action!"
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello friends

After a few months of gathering insignia I have almost finished my project.

First of all, we must be conscious that this kind of restoration projects always involve a little amount of imagination. Unless we knew the former owner of the tunic, restoring it will be only recreating a picture of something that could have been originally like that.

My aim while restoring it was being historically accurate through displaying original insignia which matched as better as possible the condition of a base SS tunic. That is the reason why I wanted a 2 belt hole, 2-step lining M43 tunic which had clear shadows of SS insignia.

By the way, most of the SS tunics we can see for sale are simply restorations that are not advertised as such.

I have decided to restore this tunic as a cavalry/recon NCO.

The runic tab is a Bevo pattern, as is the eagle.
                The tabs are maybe in a little bit newer condition than the rest of the effects and the tunic itself, but it is hard to get used and matching insignia. Even so, they don't stand out too much to make the restoration incoherent

Collar tresse is not the subdued type (although if you know where I can purchase some, please let me know) but it is somehow greasy so I think it is coherent with the tresse on the SS cavalry Scharfuhrer shoulder boards (which are very nice)

For the arm eagle I have purchased one that was posted here on WAF last week. It is quite used, but as an active military Officer I acknowledge that all the insignia displayed on an arm is exposed to higher rates of wear.. So I think it will match perfectly.

While studying the tunic I have found some loose threads on the rear lower part of the left sleeve, indicating possible the presence of a former cufftitle.

As I have chosen a pair of cavalry boards, the cufftitle could only be a divisional one. I have not purchased one yet, although I have some in mind

I have also purchased some rolls of black and light color period thread.

Now the only thing I still lack is someone who has the right equipment and knowledge to sew properly the insignia.
                I would kindly appreciate any idea about how to sew the insignia,so if you know someone who has the ability and charges fair rates for the job( in Europe) please let me know.

Here are the pics so you can see the process. Enjoy!
                ​​​​
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is the arm eagle
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nobody knows someone with professional skills for stitching the insignia?
                    I am not confident enough about doing it by myself and I seriously doubt that a common tailor could get the job done properly

Comment

Helmut Weitze probably knows some of the best restorers in Europe. Maybe you could contact him? ????
                      Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                      Decorations of Germany

Comment

Thank you for your answer Rich.

Another forum member also has offered me the services of a skilled professional, so I think I will use that one as it seems he knows this stuff well
                        I will share the results here once they are finished.
                        Now, the tunic looks like this, waiting for a gap in the tailor's schedule.
                        Hope you like it!
                        Attached Files

Comment

It will look very nice when finished .

Comment

Yeah Eagle definitely needs some work

Comment

You're good.I like this project... it's better to put your soul into this subject yourself.than to buy from a dealer never knowing the truth who and when sewed the insignia

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X