Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Ajack

Hi

would like to introduce my SS Ajak here. It comes from an Austrian man who continued to use it after the war on his hunting rifle.
    Optics still very nice!
    according to statements, the ajack was used in the last fighting in hungary at the Plattensee Offensive.
    I hope you like it.

greetings
    Attached Files

Original SS issued Ajack scope. Serial number is in the correct range for those, elevation knob scaled from 1 to 3 which is correct as well. Engraved number on the tube is the rifle serial number. Mount is of course post war. They were originally mounted on short side rail system. Nice scope.

Jack

Comment

SS Ajack

hi jack,

thanks for your contribution.
      I also think that is the bracket postwar.
      But it still looks like everything except for the front mounted is made of the same material and sits firmly on the scope. Do you still have an explanation.
      One thing is certain, it was definitely in use in hungary. Which unit, of course, will no longer be clarified. There were at the time some units of the ss still there. but everything consisted almost only of these remnants of these units.
      Thank you.

greetings
      Norman

Comment

SS short side rail mounts were made in 1941 to early 1942. They were not too stable and that's why they were discontinued. Of course issued rifles could be used till the end of the war if serviceable. That was probably the case with yours. Those rings are post war. Originally it had mount like this.

Jack
        Attached Files

Comment

SS Ajack

that with the rail mounts is very interesting. THX.
          did not know that those were so bad and were set back in 1941/42.
          But I just mean this bracket as in the picture. The ring is definitely postwar.
          But the other bracket is firmly connected to the scope and the material is the same. The wear and tear is the same from the color.
          The ring still clearly has a darker black.
          Attached Files

Comment

SS Ajack

do you see it is fixed. you can not take it off.
            Attached Files

Comment

Your mounts are civilian, not military. They surely have been on that scope for a long time, so they had a time to develop same patina. Appearance of the same material of the rear mount is a coincidence and the result of aging together. Even in military production, scope manufacturers made only scopes. Mounts were installed in rifle factories or in conversion depots (SS snipers) where scopes were paired with rifles. Procedures were standardized, so it was possible to interchange ringed scopes within the same system.
              In double claw mount cases, like rings on your scope that was not possible in general. Rings and bases were custom fit to rifles and scopes. SS used such system in early stages, but they looked differently than yours. They are called objective mount scopes and front rings are similar like yours, but still different. I may be wrong, but I don't think such system used Ajack scopes.

Jack

Comment

SS Ajack

OK. Thank you for your detailed answer.
                I just thought because it is completely connected to the scope. but it was probably made to fit on the hunting rifle it was on.

THX

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X