No announcement yet.

Zeiss Commanders glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just checked and can't see any difference on my ones but the size and fonts of the lettering are different (bigger on the cxn) so it may be an optical illusion. Ther's also a difference in the size of webs supporting the hinges from left to right.

My cxn has no curved fluting (only flat sides) for the screw access and focus knob on the right side - but does on the left (as on blc's)

8x60 CXN 426690 is still up on Worthpoint and shows the same anomaly

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...nder-523029822

Notice also that cxn precedes the serial but blc comes after the serial. An interesting point for anoraks like myself.

Comment

Do you know what that cxn sold for, Sgt Bilko?
      I don't whant to get involved with worthpoint.

Comment

I don't know as I'm not signed up to them and, being a tightwad, unlikey to do so. I found the image online and provided the link to illustrate the subtle differences that I noticed on my one.

Comment

Thank you for all the information.

Comment

So . . . next question:

Of all the binoculars that were manufactured for the Kriegsmarine, which is the "best":
            - most efficient in low light viewing
            - best clarity
            - best field of view
            - most comfortable to carry and use
            - most robust

Comment

All binoculars are trade off´s between different requirements.
              You might as well ask which car is the best.
              Neither question has a correct answer.

Personally, I would prefer a Zeiss aluminium 7x50 with Erfle oculars. Like the Flak-Küste version. Or, something modern, like japanese from the 1980-ies.
              If I accidently drops the japanese from a boat, or onto the deck of a boat, then why care. Buy another one.
              Cheap, and pretty good.

Colleague told me a story last week. Sailing with his daughter and another girl, he told them specifically to always use the carrying strap if they used the bino.
              Took almost an hour before the fatal "plop" rang out... if a "plop" rings, that is.

Since then, he uses a cheap used modern bino costing less than $ 40.- when sailing.
              Some day his daughter won´t be a teenager any more. Or, he buys a floatable bino.

To go for the best just makes "plop"´s more expensive.

Comment

If I accidently drops the japanese from a boat, or onto the deck of a boat, then why care. Buy another one.

I bought a Nikon Tropical from a woman who's brother found them underwater in Papua New Guinea while scuba diving in the 70's. The markings had corroded away and the objective rings are pitted but, after cleaning, they're still good uns.

Surely the greates accolade for a marine binocular - to actually survive in the marine environment.

Comment

Complete unrelated to the original topic.
                  I read the other day about russian admiral Zinovy Rozhestvensky commanding the russian baltic fleet that sailed to Japan in 1905. And subsequently lost the fight at the Tsushima straight.

He had a habit of throwing his binoculars into the ocean when enraged.
                  To such an extend, his subalterns, allegedly, brought along a supply of 50 binoculars for his personal use on the voyage.

Not difficult to see why older russian binoculars are scarce.

Comment

I like the cut of his jib!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikedenmark View Post
                      Complete unrelated to the original topic.
                      Partially, but there are so many highly experienced members on this site, (that have very diverse collections)
                      I merely wanted to hear their perspectives on the WW1 - WW2 era binoculars.

Comment

I think he was referring to admiral Zinovy Rozhestvensky - not your interesting query.

As mentioned it's all a compromise. If someone could make a binocular that gave the images of a blc 8x60 for the size and weight of a Zeiss Marineglas I'd pop my cork.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X