EspenlaubMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unmarked service-type Leitz Wetzlar 7x50s - postwar? Late war?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unmarked service-type Leitz Wetzlar 7x50s - postwar? Late war?

I just picked this set up, and was hoping for more expert input. They came from an estate a few towns over from me, last week.

Complete photo album: https://imgur.com/a/fSoBYa8
    • 7x50 military style binoculars
      Sprayed a rough blobby grey
      Marked with commercial E Leitz Wetzlar logo on left plate
      Marked with 7x50 / 478036 on right plate
      Uncoated optics
      No reticle
      Presstoff wartime type case but with civilian type clasp
      Case is type seen on early Marsept post-war binocs
      Filter caps inside lid, snap marked PRYM
      Cover & strap are wartime style, no markings

The right plate looks like a standard wartime one if the "Dienstglas" and lower markings were never added. There are no other markings of any kind anywhere on the binoculars, or on the case. Only the markings on the two face plates, and "PRYM" on the flap inside the case.

very interesting set !!!

I will give you my take and I'm sure some will agree and others wont. But, there is no clear answer for sure..

This set is a correct not a married pair. The case is BEH they had their own pattern case . This is it. narrow back straps with Filter compartments in the lid.

Similar to the late Beh KM type cases. Standard KSD or other type 7x50 or 10x50 cases have neither feature.

The glasses are the standard smooth body late war type. Early commercial left plates were used By Beh and blc/rln late war using up surplus commercial stock.

Silver paint looks very very similar to the paint use by Rln and Bmk late war and is sloppily applied. Most late Beh binos are tan Not silver so this is a bit of a mystery ????

Could be a late war commercial contract or Post war assembled ? Guys who track ser #'s should be more help with that.

Nice find !!!

Comment

A bit of a mystery alright. The highest probable WW II Leitz serial number in my small Leitz database is 474439 on a rubber armoured Porro II 7x50 whereas the lowest probable post-war number is 485890 on Binuxit 8x30. Since it's not marked Dienstglas I'd say it is very early post-war. That paint color and poor quality of paint job is atypical of Leitz. It's the first Leitz I've seen with this color paint. Looks like a non-factory job but there is apparently no other paint or primer underneath it. These could have been removed before repainting, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Wpgbinocular View Post
        A bit of a mystery alright. The highest probable WW II Leitz serial number in my small Leitz database is 474439 on a rubber armoured Porro II 7x50 whereas the lowest probable post-war number is 485890 on Binuxit 8x30. Since it's not marked Dienstglas I'd say it is very early post-war. That paint color and poor quality of paint job is atypical of Leitz. It's the first Leitz I've seen with this color paint. Looks like a non-factory job but there is apparently no other paint or primer underneath it. These could have been removed before repainting, however.
        Very interesting! So, right in the middle of that gap.

These binoculars make me think of another piece I have, a Walther PP, a so-called "factory capture" - built from parts after that factory was captured. Like these binoculars, there are almost no markings on anything - the pistol, holster, etc. No inspection stamps at all, no branding beyond the serial number and "AC" code for Walther, and "Walther" on the grips.

The color I have seen before on helmets painted in the field, by coastal artillery troops. But i don't know that it's the same, only similar.

Comment

Originally posted by MAUSER99 View Post
          very interesting set !!!

I will give you my take and I'm sure some will agree and others wont. But, there is no clear answer for sure..

This set is a correct not a married pair. The case is BEH they had their own pattern case . This is it. narrow back straps with Filter compartments in the lid.

Similar to the late Beh KM type cases. Standard KSD or other type 7x50 or 10x50 cases have neither feature.

The glasses are the standard smooth body late war type. Early commercial left plates were used By Beh and blc/rln late war using up surplus commercial stock.

Silver paint looks very very similar to the paint use by Rln and Bmk late war and is sloppily applied. Most late Beh binos are tan Not silver so this is a bit of a mystery ????

Could be a late war commercial contract or Post war assembled ? Guys who track ser #'s should be more help with that.

Nice find !!!
          Thank you very much for this wonderful input! I was not aware of a standard BEH-only type case.

This paint color I have seen before, or a shade very like it - used on a camo overpaint on KM helmets as shipboard camouflage or with members of coastal artillery - also KM of course. This grey paint on these binoculars is sprayed, but not carefully, and it was done after the binoculars were fully assembled as there are clear tape lines around the base of one ocular.

Whoever had the set, they used the filter caps regularly. There are wear marks on the eyecups showing this.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X