BEH Kriegsmarine 7x50 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEH Kriegsmarine 7x50 Question

I’m trying to learn more about the painted lettering on this set. I can make out the Strm easily and so far believe it to be an abbreviation for Steuermann. Translations I’ve found are for ‘navigator’ or ‘helmsman’ or ‘second mate’. Any thoughts as to what the first letter preceding Strm is? It is difficult to make out, and review of gothic lettering against Kriegsmarine ranks doesn’t draw any solid conclusion for me. Any help is appreciated. By the way, I just got them back from being cleaned by Cory Suddarth. They are crystal clear and a joy to view through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hard to read marking could be be “Ob.” I have a similar marking on the regenschutzdeckel of a Leitz Porro II 7 x 50: https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocw...-9v9jiB-9YTHX4

Comment

Thanks, wpg. I had found your photo online and it was one of my sources of information.

Comment

Based on WPG’s info and photo that it is likely a rank that precedes Steuermann (Strm.), my final guess is Feldwebel; abbreviation Fw. I compared fraktur and gothic fonts against ranks and the shapes of the visible lettering on the binos and it’s my best guess.

Comment

It’s interesting it has a zeiss clamp for the rubber cord that attaches the benutzer cap and it looks like it’s been on a long time

Comment

what´s wrong with OberSteuermann?
            Senior or upper Steuerman

Comment

Mike, it certainly could be, but I didn’t think the left side of the first letter resembled an upper case ‘O’. It appears more like the ‘F’. I’ll try to get a better photo uploaded.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X