Some Sunday Projects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Sunday Projects.

Had the house to myself Sunday & the “Honey Do List” was all sorted so I had some time on my hands.

I’ve picked up a few socket connectors for the light cable used on SDKFZ Optics & im going to try restore one or two for some of my SDKFZ gun optics.

I have one socket with an aluminum shield & one with a Bakelite shield.

I managed with a little bit of effort to get the Bakelite shield off intact.....[emoji851] I have the brass socket soaking to remove the built up corrosion. I have found some wire that is 99% correct. All that remains is to find a good bulb holder. The ground find ones most often too far gone to save as there are a few exceedingly small screws on them that lock collars ect so once they corrode it just about game over.

Does anyone have a rough length on this light cable? I assume they vary from vehicle to vehicle due to the power points being in different locations....[emoji848]

I have a nice selection of the light shade/adaptors.

Next on the list are a pile of the Handlampe switch blocs. These have been soaking in penetrating oil for a few months.

If I can get them apart I’m going to try my hand at restoring them.

Some photos below.

Glen
    Collector of Wehrmacht Optics, Ordnance & Field Equipment.

Some Sunday Projects.

Tuesday update,

So after soaking the two plugs in concrete remover for 48 hrs the bulk of the corrosion has been removed.

I gave them both a through rinse in hot water then blew them dry with compressed air.

Next I gave one a light buff with some steel wool & Brasso. It came out not looking too bad.

Interesting note on the differences in construction between the two.

Both units are made of brass & Bakelite, the unit I cleaned, the upper mast that has the wire ports & the thread for the outer shield is fully Bakelite whereas the uncleaned unit, the upper mast is Bakelite but only the mast. The lower body including the outer shield thread are brass.

This will become clearer once I have it cleaned & do a photo comparison.

Photos below.

Glen

Comment

Glen,

How big is the hole for the cable in those plugs? I've got two with different holes...

I've got several reticle lamps that go from aprox. 80cm to 120 cm Now, these are standard battery box ones. I do have a vehicle version...but deep inside THE wardrobe, inside a KZF2 box and a bit difficult to pull out right now. let me a couple of days...

Carles

Comment

Hello Glen,

The length of the cable (lamp and plug excluded) is 72cm.

Carles
        Attached Files

Comment

Some Sunday Projects.

Carles,

You’re the best my friend.

Thanks for that.

I will get you the dimensions you asked for tonight.

I did a quick check last evening....so I have 3 sockets in my collection 2 are “complete” [emoji41] (meaning just the socket end with shield...no cable or light socket) one is Bakelite like I’ve posted above the second has an aluminum shield with a Bakelite trunnion on the end that hold the cable.

I will do a photo study tonight.

Would anyone have a photo of the power point that this cable plugged into on the vehicle bulkhead??

Would be something to get one so I could do a static display [emoji41]

Glen

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X