Recent Purchase Binoculars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent Purchase Binoculars

Hi Folks: I recently attended an estate sale and picked up this nice set of WWII German 6 X 30 "cag" binoculars "Dienstglas" ser# 115144 H/6400. They are tan ordnance color with strap and bakelite case w/strap. Pretty complete set with clear lenses. The lenses also have grids/radicals. Bottom of bakelite case is marked "ehe" "9951" while the metal latch is marked "frn42". For me which I haven't seen before.......is the strap on the binoculars is marked also "1942 bmj".

Scratched on the lid is a name "W. Starke"...I'll research the name. The name doesn't match the estate owner.

Just researched US Archives and found only one "Walter W. Starke" Queens, NY enlisted in the US Air Corps ser# 42072053
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Edelweisse; 02-23-2019, 01:41 PM.

Binoculars 6 X 30

Here are the markings on latch and on strap
    Attached Files

Comment

A very nice set especially with the shoulder strap on the case.

The neckstrap has the wartime code for Hensoldt. The binos were made 1943 on and are not from N. Africa as many would assume. The maker of the binos is Swarovski. The condition is low average due to the paint loss and overall wear.

If the case has no chips or cracks and the leather belt loops are undamaged, the case/strap is worth more than the binos.

Comment

I agree that the case and the strap are worth more than the binos themself, moreover when being the case the light brown version. Binos might not be top for an optic collector but are in pretty good condition for an equipment collector.

Carles

Comment

Nice to have a set with a little history. It's a pity they didn't come with a capture certificate (if one was ever issued) like this one;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/930-WWII-...cg~h:rk:6:pf:0

I wonder what binocular 178916 was?

Comment

I appreciate your comments. I have another pair of binoculars I purchased a few months ago and posted here. They are black vs. ordnance tan...which also came in a Bakelite case. I was impressed by these tan binoculars.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=953052
            Last edited by Edelweisse; 02-24-2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X