No announcement yet.

U boat 8X60 Commander binoculars on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter, (De Laet) has spent a lot of time looking at Zeiss archives in recent years.
    Attached another recessed number, 2111245.
    This set had been covered with a black coat but nowhere near as well painted as the set seen on eBay, this one was thick and rather crudely applied, not what you would have expected from Zeiss.
    I removed it as it was so bloody awful and underneath the green coat was almost intact.
    The modern lanyard, the period one is in storage - just not worth trusting 60-70 year old leather, where do you get a replacement lens or prism from .
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you behblc.

Even though you have created chaos. This one is in fact between 2 of the serial numbers Sgt. Bilko produced. So, apparently, there was no special milled panel serial sequence.

Even I will not claim there could have been 2 serials with the same numbers. So, all bets are off. Mad grinding Nazi just had a day of fun in the tool room.

Update.
      I do note, though, that the digit 4 has a strong resemblance with other Zeiss serial numbers, so the engraving should have been made at Zeiss. That, at least, is one result.

And, I envy Peter.
      Last edited by Mikedenmark; 02-18-2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Mike,"Sgt Bilko" ( Niall ) and I met in Edinburgh about 18 months ago and whilst "Chaos" could be my middle name Niall can vouch that behind this keyboard I am Boris "every day is a bad hair day" Johnston or am I Nigel "jumped up twit" Farage.
        This set came from the daughter of an Ex RN man who obtained them in Portsmouth post war.
        Poor quality coat of black.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by behblc; 02-18-2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

U Boat 8 x 60

I have set numbered 2111364 that are within a milled out ovoid. When I acquired the set for about £50 near 20 years ago they were covered in battleship Grey paint. On stripping the paint there was very little of the original paint finish left but it showed both smooth Green finish and the textured Green finish applied during its life.

Comment

Nigel "jumped up twit" Farage.

Have a Chamomile tea James and relax. Nigel didn't bring about the leave vote - apparently it was the Rooskies....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X