Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French cannon gun-site? Yard sale find

Hello forum..

I found this site, this morning yard saling. They had two foot lockers with misc stuff.

One foot locker.... was the standard US issue from WWII. The other, looked German, about 3/4 the size of the US and looked like a strong box. Likely an ammo box of some sort.

The US officers name was painted to the top of both.

The German locker had a two inch section of wood missing along the side if its entire girth. I took it to a friend/collector and threw in stuff I didn't want into the locker. I got my money back from selling to him the stuff I didn't want an hour after buying. I have no room to store boxes.

There were five US army officer caps... and misc. Mostly water damaged that I didn't want.

The US locker I kept.. since it has a bunch of camera related stuff in it from the 1940s to early 60's from what I can tell... and this site.

The site is heavy, well made... and likely brass. The rubber eye piece is broken. The lens looks really nice/clear.

Is it military? If so... any idea if it's a spotting scope or from a cannon?

thanks for the help. Robert

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I think you're right Robert - it's a gun sight with what looks like an illumination port for the reticle. Krauss joined with Barbier, Benard, et Turenne (BBT) to become BBT Krauss in 1935 so it must date from before the merger but could well have still been in use in WW2. Nice find!

PS It may be mere coincidence but the reticle is identical to my Nikko Japanese Navy anti aircraft predictor sight reticle...

Comment

thanks for the help.

here's a few quick photos of the locker filled camera related stuff. Most of the paper boxes/packaging is falling apart.

I didn't dump everything out yet... but saw this neat little booklet of phone numbers.

It looks like something a switchboard operator would use to reach other military units?

Robert

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

thanks guys for the help.

any other comments? Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X