Bakelite Binocular Case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bakelite Binocular Case?

Please excuse me if I have placed this in the wrong section - moderators please feel free to move to the appropriate area if need be.

I am curious, have anyone ever tried to replace the often missing straps on the back of these cases ? Is it even possible?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Bill K.

Originally posted by bellumbill View Post
    Please excuse me if I have placed this in the wrong section - moderators please feel free to move to the appropriate area if need be.

I am curious, have anyone ever tried to replace the often missing straps on the back of these cases ? Is it even possible?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Bill K.
    I have replaced them a couple of times. You have to be a bit handy there. There are two different kind of strasp depending on the maker, I believe, leather and presstoff (pressed cardboard artificial leather). Presstoff straps tend to get dry and just crack off if you open the bakelite case too frequently. It is difficult to find the right material to replace these.

Carles

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Curious, how did you replace the straps? Did you remove the rivets? Where did you get the straps to use?

Best,

Bill K.

Comment

Hello,

Yes, I removed the rivets by grounding carefully, not to damage the retaining plate. I tried both leather and a sort of presstoff I found (from some old folder or something of that kind). Either leather or presstof, the were cut to the right size and shape and new rivets were riveted in place. I'll try to find a pic. Here:

Carles

Comment

Bakelite Binocular Case?

Carles,

I’m also intrigued & would love to see how your repair went.

I’m in the same boat. I have a late war case with one strap that has failed. [emoji53]

The left strap has failed right at the top. This one is so rare it’s almost worth sacrificing a black case for its straps....[emoji848] just kidding. I’d never kill a good one. [emoji41]

Glen
          Collector of Wehrmacht Optics, Ordnance & Field Equipment.
          Last edited by whsammler; 11-22-2018, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I left the pics out. It was not a super restoration Glen, just to sell it. I used an old piece of a leather belt. I also replaced the studs that lock the straps. Here they are again.

Carles
            Attached Files

Comment

Carles -

OMG, I think that is a pretty great fix! At least that way I would be able to affix the case to an original belt for my display. No one need see that the strap isn't original, I just would like it to be functional, again, for displaying. Great job!

If I may ask, what did you use to grind down the rivets? I have a Dremel tool thinking that might work.

Thanks!

Best,

Bill K.

Comment

Originally posted by bellumbill View Post
                Carles -

OMG, I think that is a pretty great fix! At least that way I would be able to affix the case to an original belt for my display. No one need see that the strap isn't original, I just would like it to be functional, again, for displaying. Great job!

If I may ask, what did you use to grind down the rivets? I have a Dremel tool thinking that might work.

Thanks!

Best,

Bill K.
                Thanks Bill,

Yes, I used a Dremel with one of the accessories. I believe I used aluminium rivets to replace the original. They are easier to rivet back.

If it had been a keeper I would have used a nicer piece of leather. I keep on collecting all kind of leather straps, screws, strings, pieces of wood and any other material that might be useful for later restorations. You should see some of my P38 and P08 post war Norwegian reissued holsters restored with nice leather loops.

I still have a couple of my selfmade presstoff straps somewhere. If I find them I'll shoot a pic for you.

Carles

Comment

Thank you, I would appreciate that!

Best,

Bill K.

Comment

Here you can see the kind of leather I have. I sometimes buy brand new leather straps, then I oil or let at the sun for them to weather a bit (if natural colour) or I dye them and draw the lines by the edges. The presstoff strap is made out of some stiff carboard folders, glued and with some kind of artificial leather as final touch. Other pics of the back loops of some pistol holsters replaced. Hope you like them.

Carles
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow, fantastic work!

Thanks for the pictures!

Best,
                      Bill K.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X