Late War J. D. Moeller DHQ SF14 “Rabbit Ears”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked these up of Friday & added them to the collection.

This late war set of SF14 are made by J.D Moeller & are DHQ marked. They come with the very late style of stamped steel head rest bracket.
    The earlier bracket was a bulky cast steel affair that clamped to one of the main tubes. The top objective housings are both painted in grey from the factory (the screws still have their sealing putty in place) rather than the Ordnance Tan like the rest of the set, even the Ordnance Tan is not a consistent shade showing just how chaotic the supply system was nearing the end of the war. Despite of all this they still managed to churn this equipment out to the end.

Inside the upper objective housings the prisms have been replaced with simple mirrors another cost saving measure.

This is what I call a “Bookend” set as they are the same maker as my near mint early war set of SF14. So its a real treat to see the difference in materials, quality & construction.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Photos below:

S.F.14 Z Gi

hi Glen,
    a nice set!!! And thanks for the photos of your latest S.F
    The J.D Möller GmbH,Wedel (dhq) late war examples come in a wide variety of shades of tan.Also some have the brow pad and some not.

As you noted the top prism covers have mirrors instead of the prisms of earlier S.F.
    Nevertheless I have found that this feature does not appear to compromise the image quality.I attach a pic of a couple of dhq showing the brow pads.
    Best Stew
    Attached Files

Comment

Stew,

Thanks for the pics from your collection.

This late war equipment really blows my hair back.

The different shades of paint & cost saving measures etc.

I noticed on your sets the draw marks on the tubes. The dies may be worn/not set correctly or the material was drawn through them just a bit too fast??

Looking forward to a lively discussion on these over a few pints & some BBQ in January.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X