Danish army 6x24 Zeiss Monocular Model 1938

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danish army 6x24 Zeiss Monocular Model 1938

During September, I have found a couple of pretty interesting danish optics.

This is one of them.

A Danish Army monocular 6x24 Zeiss Model 1938, with case.
    Marked: E.Pr.Z.6X M1938 = Enkeltkikkert, Prisme, Zeiss, 6X, Model 1938

Delivered as one of 200 in 1939. Made to match an older model 1933, supplied by Spindler & Hoyer, this monocular has a peculiar pull up eyecup. Peculiar for a Zeiss at least.

I know a very few of these has survived. Apart from this one, I know of one more here in Denmark, and Chevyjohnny shows one in his Fernglasmuseum.

I never expected to find one. A story goes that the remaining stock were crushed around 2000.

Easier than selling them off. Too much paperwork. Crushed, they can go straight to the scrap yard without further ado.
    Attached Files

A nice find - I've seen Hensoldts with similar eyecups (for gasmask or goggle use?).

A sin about the others though - I'll have crusher nightmares tonight I fear....

Comment

Maybe I should assemble a lot of worn bino´s. I an thinking one or two 8x60, a couple of UDF´s a FlaK 10x80, and an assorted lot of WH bino´s.

Then find an anvil and a large hammer....

Why, ?

Well, I could gain eternal life on Youtube with my video, showing myself smiling as I hammer my way into heaven.
      Now that is something no collection can do for me in any other way.

With my luck, I probably forget to insert a memory card in the Videocamera, or, it will malfunction. Then I only get a recording of the first 8 seconds, before I crush the first one.
      Roald Dahl would love this.

PS. Friend of mine said last weekend, hearing the story about crushing:
      " is that so, I could probably have walked away with anything I wanted from that pile. Pity I didn´t know they were rare."
      Sometime, even though I am a grown man, I feel like screaming.

Comment

That idea with the hammer and Youtub is a bad one.
        First only a few thousand freaks (us) would recognize the objekts you were giving the hammer treatmen.
        Second normal people don't know the value of the objects you destroy and they will not give a damn.
        By the way, I know you would never do it.

That with military personel destroying instruments to prevent them falling in inappropriate (civilian) hands is a well known phenomenon. We have had a lot of that in Sweden too. That's why I regard myself as a saver of such objects. Sort of a "Chatcher in the Ray" for binoculars.

Comment

Top wrist and pocket watch makers made timepieces for British forces in WW2 under the strict condition that when peace came, they'd be destroyed to prevent cheaply priced surplus flooding the market.

I heard of one guy in the army who was given the task of smashing watches with a hammer on an anvil - hundreds per day...

Comment

I guess Binoswede is right. I, probably, would never do it...

So, it´s back to youtube watching how other people become famous for dropping off buildings or mountains, smashing trucks or cranes, or more or less die from a number of weird acci- or incidents.

And yes, fame is relative. I did expect 10.000 followers for #Killallbinoculars
            But it may be a bit optimistic.

I should probably turn to showing another nice thing I got recently. 6 X rarer than the Zeiss Mono 1938 bino.

PS Bilko. I am amazed. A government that keeps its promises ???? Even after they threw out Churchill as the PM in 1945 ???

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X