Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10x50 Binoculars

Hello All,

I recently was given these out of kindness from my neighbor. His Dad served in WW2, Swam across the Rhine and recieved 2 purple hearts and a bronze star. Unfortunately he passed away early in life. One of the things he left on the world however was these binoculars he brought back from the war. I would like to know more information out about them if anybody knows. The son had them appraised a couple years ago for about $100-150 are They really worth that?

Thanks for looking

Brayden

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

are They really worth that?

The case alone could fetch that. It looks like they may have something missing or faded on the end washer - perhaps "Pol Dienst" which would signify police or military police use. Nice set with a great history.

Comment

I had another look at the end washer and it only has a serial number and the magnification of the binoculars. I also noticed the case is dated 1941 and waffenampt. That's awesome it could be worth that much. I have two 6x30 and I thought those were worth the appraisal of this one alone

Thanks for the info!

Brayden

Comment

Case is also marked Hensoldt so a nice matched set.

Comment

Nothing on the underside of the bridge sides?
          We only see one side of the bino.

I agree with Sgt Bilko about the center disc. There might be a marking like Sgt. Bilko suggested, or just: Dienstglas.

Hensoldt was, even during the war, known as an active Nazi party member. Something he purportedly used to get government contracts.
          That may be why dialyts were used at all. Fairly fragile, and coming with the need of a complete sparepart set for all repairshops.
          Not exactly what the WH needed.
          Last edited by Mikedenmark; 07-04-2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Heres more photos, I've seem to have found nothing! No other marking that I have seem to found other then the maker of the binoculars...kinda perplexed on this.

Comment

No reason to be perplexed.

Here is a similar binocular, where it can be seen clearly that the middle line on the center disc has been removed.

http://www.fernglasmuseum.at/museum/...ienstglas.html

The eagle on the case above is a police eagle. If you compare with the eagle wing on your case, I think it is fairly safe to conclude your case at least, was also issued to the german police.
              So, very likely, the binoculars are original police issue as well.
              In fact, on your latest photo, I see something that may very well be the top of a capital P.
              It is also clear there has been worked on the center line. The toolmarks are visible. Maybe it should read: Pol. Dienstglas.

Like here:
              https://reibert.info/attachments/2-jpg.4532477/
              (on a an ordinary porro bino. Just to show the marking)

Possibly, the police marking were removed during the war.

If binos were transferred to combat troops, it stands to reason that the ownership markings of the police may have been officially removed before the transfer.
              Otherwise, policefriendly waffenmeisters would feel obliged to return such bino´s to the Polizeipräsidium in Berlin, whenever they encountered them.
              Last edited by Mikedenmark; 07-04-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X