Kampfgruppe

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hensoldt 6x30 special use? Anyone else have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hensoldt 6x30 special use? Anyone else have one?

Got these Hensoldt Wetzlar 6x30 binoculars and wonder what could have been on the right plate. Someone has rubbed most of the letters off; I can make out glas and some numbers at the very bottom. It has the standard range grid and IF lenses.
    Normally the 6x30 is on the right plate, unless room needed for other reasons. I would like to hear from anyone who has an identical set with intact right plate, or ideas.
    Came in a leather early style military case with a compass built-in on the top lid. Has a Carl Zeiss logo on front nearly rubbed out from the metal catch, likely a private purchase.
    Attached Files

really wonder what was rubbed out, and why?
    Attached Files

Comment

last

clear optics and nice finish.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thats a nice pair of bins and case.I think there may have been an eagle on the right hand side or possibly the word dienstglass ? More knowledgeable people will be able to offer a better explanation.

Comment

It looks like there has been added black paint on top of the erased markings.
          Try to rub it off with alcohol. Should work fairly easy.

I am pretty sure, I see the serial number as the bottom line, and at least "glas" at the end of the second lowest line, so, yes, most likely, Dienstglas.

Comment

Hi and thanks for the responses, will try some alcohol at edges and hope for the best, will add pic if successful.

Comment

Good luck but you may find the German Army property markings (Dienstglas etc) have been scratched off - it was illegal to keep govt property after the war.

Another reason for removing the markings was if they were captured before the end of the war and there was a chance of being yourself captured - with enemy gear. I've a few from the Desert War like that.

Comment

There was an inscription: Pol. Dienstglas
                It was erased after the war, in order to hide the belonging to the police.

Comment

Good point!

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Bilko View Post
                    Good luck but you may find the German Army property markings (Dienstglas etc) have been scratched off - it was illegal to keep govt property after the war.

Another reason for removing the markings was if they were captured before the end of the war and there was a chance of being yourself captured - with enemy gear. I've a few from the Desert War like that.
                    Thanks Sarge, makes sense. I knew the 6x30 was moved to the left plate for a reason, and Russman just answered it. I can see the glas part of Dienstglas over parts of the serial. Didn't know it was illegal to keep govt property after the war. Still easy to tell government property with or without the rub though.

Thanks for info, sad to see so many rubbed out though.
                    regards
                    Randy
                    Last edited by overthetop; 05-03-2018, 07:43 PM. Reason: sp.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusmann View Post
                      There was an inscription: Pol. Dienstglas
                      It was erased after the war, in order to hide the belonging to the police.
                      Thanks Russman, I intend to keep these, so now will have to find for a photo of a set with a intact right plate to show what they used to look like.

Comment

Ask and you shall .. .well, you get it
                        I found a photo of the plate on an older thread, thanks to benutzer who posted it, I can now place a photo of his binoculars next to my scratchy ones!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X