JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sfl Zf 1C - Finally determined it's use!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sfl Zf 1C - Finally determined it's use!

I recently acquired what I thought was an Sfl ZF 1a...turns out it is marked Sfl Zf 1C.

The box itself is marked "7.5cm PaK40"...

So the question is...when did the 7.5cm PaK40 ever equipped with the Sfl Zf??

I can only think Marder?

There is wartime and postwar paint on this...

Thoughts and ideas?
    Attached Files

I actually think not. I think that the box was used post war for the Sfl.Z.F but was initially issued with a zf3x8.

The Marder series is confirmed to have used the ZF3X8 and Aushilfsrichtmittel 38. The Zieleinrichtung could not accept the Sfl.Z.F so this is physically not possible.

7,5 cm Pak 40 never used any Sfl.Z.F variants.

The Sfl.Z.F 1c was probably a post war variant used by the Czechs as not a single German WW2 document references the Sfl.Z.F 1c.

I am sorry that I don't have better news for you.

Comment

I would agree that the box is not the standard Sfl...but there would be no real reason to change the markings on the sight from Sfl. ZF 1a to 1c. All post-war used sights that I have seen of this type just had Czech wording added to the scope heads...but never seen them purposefully change the designation...

Strange.

Serial number on the box matches that on the scope...

And here I was thinking I found out the real purpose...hahaha.

Comment

Are you going to keep it or put it up for sale?

Glen
        Collector of Wehrmacht Ordnance, Optics & Field Equipment.

Comment

It is available...

I originally needed it for a restoration...but I got it thinking it was a 1/a. PM me if interested.

Mike

Comment

I wish, I had a Marder restoration project. (envious smiley)

Comment

Originally posted by harrison987 View Post
              I would agree that the box is not the standard Sfl...but there would be no real reason to change the markings on the sight from Sfl. ZF 1a to 1c. All post-war used sights that I have seen of this type just had Czech wording added to the scope heads...but never seen them purposefully change the designation...

Strange.

Serial number on the box matches that on the scope...

And here I was thinking I found out the real purpose...hahaha.
              The Sfl.Z.F. 1c has been a mystery for a very very long time, I think I first encountered it about 10 or 15 years ago, since then I always tried to find out what it was used for, why the 1a was even changed, WHAT has changed between the 1a and 1c but sadly so far I never found out :-(

I have checked tons of stuff but could not come up with a solution yet.

It is interesting that the serial number on the box is identical to the sight, this could have 2 reasons:

- The military (whatever country it was) used spare Pak40 boxes because they ran out of Sfl.Z.F. boxes.

- a "collector" but it in this box and painted the serial number on it hoping that nobody would notice his fake because he hoped to increase the price for the item.

What reticle does your 1c have? All I have encountered so far have the standard Sfl.Z.F. reticle like the 1a.

Btw can you please provide a photo of the serial number on the ZF and also manufacturing code(s)? Not sure if this is of any help, but I am collecting those because maybe it will sometimes help to solve this mystery.

Comment

One more thing, could you please provide the maximum distance from top to bottom of the Sfl.Z.F. 1c? This might also help to find out the reason why it was changed from the 1a.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X