British infrared ‘Tabby’ type E binos ZA 23001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British infrared ‘Tabby’ type E binos ZA 23001

Got this one recently from a house clearance.
    Came from the same source where the German M42 camo was found.
    These Infrared ‘Tabby’ binos were attached in recon vehicles as far as I know.
    I did found some information on the internet on it but was wondering. Were this kind of binos also regular used on the European battlefield?
    For example in Normandy or Marked Garden?
    Are there any pics of them in action?
    I read there were around 3000 of them produced between 1943 and 1945
    Looking forward for your responses😉
    Attached Files

Q
    Attached Files

Comment

A
      Attached Files

Comment

I have a couple of those too.
        I also tried to conduct a search, through Google, but came up with the same as you apparently did.
        I have not yet seen a photo showing them in actual use.
        ( I haven´t tried to power them up either. I found my 2 set in a barn in Sweden, of all places.)

Comment

Weren't they used by truck drivers bringing up supplies at night after D Day? The IR headlamps refelected off a reflector on the rear of the truck in front and enabled the driver behind (with these attached to the cab roof inside) to follow safely in "indian country".

Comment

Hello,

I have a complete system with transfo, just missing the headlights.
            There is a small manual/handbook existing. Have to dig it from storage.
            It describes the mounting in a truck with brackets to maintain the binocular in front of the driver.
            So SgtBilko is right I think.

I never powered them up, so not sure the image quality was good enough for a standalone vehicle.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for that - probably why they don't go for much in Britain and I've never felt the urge myself.

Comment

Tabby

Hello
                I wonder about the tabby bino , for me the tabby is a monocular
                with a zinc battery sealed , used probably by SAS or SOE
                may used to aim to luminous balls the agents own for a mission
                i may be wrong the bino is may be also called same name
                Pierre

Comment

Hello Pierre,

They were all called "Tabby", the monocular one being Tabby E , if I remember correctly.
                  The monocular was used to aim at IR beacons and recover SAS/SOE teams discreetely.
                  Binocular for driving, as discussed.
                  There is also one for the RAF (the famous box with "handle like eggs" marking), but I do not know exact purpose.

Cheers

Comment

Hello pascal
                    Ok all are so called , i agree it’s for driving purposes
                    to a point ,or move the vehicule in the darkness
                    aiming to previous vehicule ?
                    I also have an unknow IR for navy? don’t remember and due to
                    a bad illness i am unable to search for it
                    Pierre

Comment

I have read somewhere, that the monocular Tabby was supplied to select officers in many ordinary units on D-day.
                      Wrapped in red tape, and with strict orders to loose it if something went wrong.

It opens like a sardine can, and they were not allowed to unwrap the end covers before taking to sea.

There is probably a good reason why we never heard about them later. Being secret, most officers would know to keep silent about them.
                      And, secondly, if they did not perform any usefull service, then why mention them ?

I have never heard they were used by SOE agents. Would not make much sense either. Not in my view.
                      Possibly, commando´s could have a use for them.

Just a suggestion:
                      The device in this thread may have been stored secretly, only to be handed out in a case of emergence. At the time it was made, IR development was moving fast forward, making it obsolescent very fast.
                      Maybe it never really was used in actual service.
                      That would explain why most of them are in such good condition, and why photos of them in use are so scarce.
                      Last edited by Mikedenmark; 03-23-2018, 03:50 AM.

Comment

The binocular IR device was used by truck drivers but rapid Allied air superiority after D Day probably made them uneccessary sooner than expected - hence the numbers in good condition.

Here's what the Imperial War Museum says;

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30024728

binoculars, infra-red, Tabby type E, with accessories

Physical description
                        binoculars, transformer, headlamp, alignment board infra-red night vision binocular with accessories for vehicle use

monocular, infra-red, "Tabby" type "k"

instrument used to observe infra-red beacons , use also detected enemy operation of infra-red equipment

And here's some info from a veteran's son;

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads...bulance.51884/

He said that amongst other things that he cleared mines and fitted infra red beacons to mark the safe path to the bridges. He also fitted the night sights to the vehicles to enable them to see the beacons. Later after the battle he had to retrieve the sights because they were top secret which took some time due to dispersal of the vehicles.
                        Last edited by Sgt Bilko; 03-23-2018, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks so far guys!😉 Very interesting!!

Comment

Here is a unit with the power supply box.
                            Not something I have seen before.
                            https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...0-a8ce0125fde2

Comment

Nor me - thanks for the link!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X