HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zeiss Kriegsmarine Binocular Markings help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zeiss Kriegsmarine Binocular Markings help!

Picked up a nice set of binoculars, has strap and eyepiece cover still on spring band. Has very nice Imperial type eagle M marking and the North Atlantic markings, but cant find similar on the site. Supposedly a vet bringback part of a grouping with US uniforms and such. Are the markings good?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Lovely - early Kriegsmarine before the Swastika'd Eagle took over.

Comment

Binoculars

Thanks Sarge!

Comment

My pleasure - and thanks for sharing it. The 7x50H is one of the finest binoculars made and your's is particularly rare with that marking. I won't be able to sleep tonight...

Comment

good markings! (not Imperial but Weimar period)

Comment

No serial number at the central hinge discs? ( Not All Septars sports a visible serial number.)
              I agree with Glaser: Weimar navy.
              Rare would be an understatement.

Comment

Binoculars

Serial number 1652645 on the disc. Thanks all!

Comment

I always commit that error with the Eagle - it should read (as others have pointed out) Weimar Eagle used in the early Kriegsmarine period as the serial number indicates January 1935 manufacture and the KM was formed later that year. It was from a batch of 500 - maybe the earliest 7x50H's?

I blame Dr Rohan's Blue Book which I read at an early age and describes the eagle as Early Kriegsmarine period 1933-35. He also notes the Weimar Republic anchor symbol as being used 1919-1932.

Many people have corrected me but, in the spirit of old dogs and new tricks, I'll probabbly continue to make the same mistake.

PS No disrespect to Dr Rohan who's book I would recommend. It was printed before the internet became the font of all knowledge and I'm sure, if it were updated, this would be resolved. Whether I'd remember is another thing...

Comment

Thank you for the serial number. Interesting.

Sgt.Bilko Ver.2.0 ??
                    ( waving something called a smart phone high in the air... )

I also like the book Steve Rohan wrote. Some items in it are still unique. Even today. It deserves merit.
                    Last edited by Mikedenmark; 03-19-2018, 07:05 PM.

Comment

You won't see me waving a smart phone - if i can't get my Eagles right, a smart phone is way beyond me.

Comment

very rare and expensive bino, good find !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Very nice.. referred to as Riechsmarine eagle.

that's what it was called before Kreigsmarine...

H-model zeiss and very scarce.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X