Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late war binocular case?

Hi,

What do you think about this binocular case? Late war piece or just post-war put together?

All the best

Allways looking for Brückenkopf Schwedt, Zehden, Zäckerick, Pommern 1945 and Königsberg Neumark related items

The top looks good with the 1944 dated latch but isn't original to the case body. I've not seen the body colour before but lots of oddities occurred in the last months of the war...

Comment

Seems to be right type of body. Never seen that colour before.
      Super interesting, but I would check the upper outer rim of the body for any markings.
      Even in a late production, I still think they would stamp the body.
      Unless eventually, a marked one pops up, an unmakred willprobably stay undecided war/postwar.

But then again, I have never seen this material in tan before. Or, rather, it looks like the sides on some STG 44 magazine pouch lids.
      Only I think the stg44´s use a thinner type.

Comment

Looks a bit like the same material that some of the K43 pouches were made.

Regards

Allways looking for Brückenkopf Schwedt, Zehden, Zäckerick, Pommern 1945 and Königsberg Neumark related items

Comment

the case is original, the strap is after the war

Comment

I see what you mean now - the tan case origially had a black top (as shown by the black part hinge remaining) and the hinge has been repaired.

So, despite my earlier confusion - the lid and case do belong together. Thanks for clearing that up - it's the first "two tone" case I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Bilko View Post
              I see what you mean now - the tan case origially had a black top (as shown by the black part hinge remaining) and the hinge has been repaired.

So, despite my earlier confusion - the lid and case do belong together. Thanks for clearing that up - it's the first "two tone" case I've seen.

Sgt Bilko, I do not think the hinge has ever been repaired. Rather it is damaged. The outer part of the captioned hinge (top and bottom) has become completely detached - thus revealing the inner part of the hinge that is not usually observable as such.

I attach two scans of the hinge as it would have originally have been made. You will notice two rows of stitching on the lid and four rows of stitching on the body. Normally only the bottom two rows of stitching are observable.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Michael - you're right - the "inner" part of the leather hinge wasn't dyed black, hence the differing colour.

Another reason I thought of a repair was that, although cases I have are fitted with only one type of rivet, the rivets on fanatyk6's case top look different to the others - but that may be inconsequential.

Comment

Hi,
                  I've seen the pics are gone so I'm adding them once more for the future reference. I hope this time they would not wanish. I plan to get rid of the strap.

Comment

Do not touch the strap!!! Leave it as it is. It looks fine and period made.

Comment

Originally posted by pzo View Post
                      Do not touch the strap!!! Leave it as it is. It looks fine and period made.
                      A brass buckle on a late war bino case?

Carles

Comment

Originally posted by me6_130 View Post
                        A brass buckle on a late war bino case?

Carles
                        Why not? Some strategic resources were somehow available in 1944/45. Look at the mess kits. In 1942 Germans started to make mess kits out of steel, to spare aluminium. In 1944 they start again to make aluminium mess kits and canteens.

Comment

I've forgot to add that the belt is marked with letter ,,H" and another unreadable stamp.

Comment

I am not sure the H means anything related to the bino case.

Similar markings on leather has made many Luger pistol holster owners believe they had something very special. Weird unknown markings inside the holster.
                            But, when a complete cowhide was accepted for a leather shop, or for/from a leather dealer, it was also marked with blue rubber stamps.

These stamps may appear at random on any leather goods made from parts cut out of such a hide.

I believe the H and the faint markings next to it, may originate from such a cowhide acceptance procedure.
                            ( I happen to have a complete vintage shark skin here somewhere. Old, but with the complete name of the shark skin dealer rolled on the raw side with blue ink. Same procedure, only different animal.)

Comment

If you look at lot of these 10x50 bino cases that are black they are tan on the inside. Maybe this was flipped by accident ? What color is the inside ?
                              Black ? if so I think that is the answer.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X