Dienstglas 6x30 blc serial range ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dienstglas 6x30 blc serial range ?

Recently picked up on Ebay a nice pair of 6x30 blc in serial range 1627xxx. This is earlier than Zeiss logo Dienstglas 6x30s in my collection . They seem to be double serial numbered with the same number. Has anyone else seen this before?

It's been reworked (by Wehrmacht optical men?). I have a similar pair - one side is a lightweight Zeiss Dienstglas, the other side has a 1934 serial, is double marked (like your's) and has a blc and blue + added.

I've also seen this with Busch (I have one) and Hensoldt - interesting oddities that have lead a double life before two damaged binoculars were made into one.

Comment

Reworking 6 x 30 Zeiss glasses

It seems to me that virtually anything can be found in terms of "hybrid" glasses. Certainly pre-WW2 types with the CZJ logo on the left prism plate updated to "Dienstglas blc" on the right plate etc are pretty common. The demands of war meant that "mixing and matching" would be done just to get the kit to the folks on the front.

Some real oddities can be found . For example I have owned two 10 x 50 Dienstglas with one "T" coated blue objective lens and the other plain glass, upgraded either as repairs or during routine periodical servicing as new parts became available. Even the post-war East German NVA were refurbishing old 6 x 30's, deleting all markings in case they were " politically incorrect". But occasionally they overlooked something so I have an 1960's NVA-refurbished 6 x 30 still with the 1914 Zeiss serial left the front disk - oops!

A bit of a sore point for me currently as an Ebay buyer recently demanded to cancel his buy when his "research" told him that the Dienstglas 10 x 50 I had just sold him was a "fake" as it had both the Zeiss logo as well as "blc"! (A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!)

Comment

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

I know what you mean - because of the influence of fakers on our hobby, anything different or unusual tends to be labelled suspect.

I have Alu Leitz and Zeiss 10x50 Dienstglasses's reworked with brass objective barrels and a Soviet 6x30 made from two slighly different binos. The left side is marked 1931 and the right shows it to be reworked in 1938. Not pretty - but it works great!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X