No announcement yet.

Kriegsmarine Zeiss 7x50 Fernglass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carl Zeiss blc 7x50 Binoculars(Fernglaser)

Kriegsmarine CZ 7x50 Binoculars smooth ocular adjusters. Nr 2225320 Contract Order for 1200units mid 1942. ( ref. Hans Seeger publication Military Binoculars & Telescopes )
    From the photos this example appears to be in excellent original condition and is complete.

This pattern binocular was introduced for service during 1942 for use on surface vessels and uboats and remained so for the rest of the war. The improved instrument was designed to be more robust and weather resistant than previous models and incorporated developments such as desiccant cartridge holders fitted to the main body and alteration to the ocular focus adjusters to prevent accidental disturbance of the settings. (a) The ocular adjustment rings were smooth as against the traditional grooved finish. (b) A lubricant with high viscosity was used within the ocular adjusters to increase friction and therefore reduce the possibilities of disturbance of settings.
    These alterations meant that a firm hold and reasonable pressure was needed to move the adjusters when necessary and to emphasis the fact the benutzerkappe always carried the wording
    “Okulare festgestellt Nicht verdrehen”

Translated Ocular set/fixed do not turn

I understand that over decades the lubricant can become congealed to a solid state that ‘binds’ the adjusters and prevents movement without applying considerable force.
    This must be avoided to prevent damage and on no account must tools be used. If this situation occurs disassembly & servicing by a professional person is the best answer to the problem.
    I have a similar pair of binoculars which I acquired in 2014 and they have never been opened or serviced as there is no requirement. The viewing is clear and bright and the ocular adjusters with a firm hold and reasonable pressure focus smoothly. I may have been lucky!

Comment

If I understand correctly, the ocular adjusters were meant to operate with more force than of the previous models?
      It is NOT that the adjusters were actually locked.
      Stuck adjusters today origin in old, hardened grease/wax, right?

Comment

KM blc 7x50 Binoculars with Smooth Oculars

Hi. Yes , correct! The smooth ocular rings in addition to increased internal friction
        created by thicker lubricants were designed to prevent accidental movement &
        putting the binoculars 'out of focus' If this pattern binocular has not had any servicing over the last 70+ yrs the lubricant could have hardened making it difficult
        to move the ocular adjustment without applying significant force! JEDH

Comment

Thanks, John!

Comment

KM 7x50 Binoculars with Smooth Ocular Rings

Hello I should have added in my earlier post! Do not use to much force in
            attempting to move the ocular adjusters or you may cause damage! Usually with a firm grip and reasonable pressure the adjusters will move! They move smoothly on the pair I have which are from the same period production and they have never been serviced! If they fail to move under reasonable pressure then disassembly of the ocular adjuster may be necessary! I hope this info is of some use Regards JEDH

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X