Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDF + UZO comming from U-534

Want show this UDF + mount from U-534

The optic is blank but the hinged oculars move and the eye distance is moving great.
    The mount works complete.

Great after 50 years in the sea

Wery good condition! Interesting devices.

It is strange that a steel spring so well preserved for 50 years in salt water.

Comment

Many thanks for posting. I have never seen the UZO clamp or swivel mount in close-up detail.

Comment

....well I think there are not many of this mounts outside

Comment

two videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfpb9jvwdcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rq68G5xVOQ

Comment

Dang. To think I was standing there in Grenaa, when 534 was just laying around.
            Before it went to England. And all it would have taken was a wrench.
            Heh heh. Åge had probably allready taken this thing off by then.

But to see the boat there was impressive.

Comment

This UDF has been sold on eBay i think the cradle and the story makes it desirable=€8300 euros

Comment

The UZO cradle is certainly a rarity. I was very happy to be able to see so many close-ups from many different angles. The wartime photos give a pretty good idea of how the cradle was constructed and worked, but Sigi's scans definitely were much more revealing.

Comment

It would be easy to get copies made. Brass or bronce are easy to work with. That would be great as a display stand for any UDF

Comment

A lot of money for binoculars you can't see through though.....

Comment

How many UDF UZOs they had on every U-boat?

In U-534 museum there is one set, with mechanical sights in a form of a clamp (never saw it on any other UZO), and the U-boat conning tower misses the UZO holder, which we see here above.

It's great item, really, I never saw the clamp in such details, also.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I got to admit, that the missing mount base on the photo of the conning tower make it possible that the origin for this thread may indeed originate with U534.

I know one of the fella´s who was present, when the boat resurfaced. I will try and remember to ask him next time I see him. Probably september.

The clam sight is indeed super interesting. AND the first thing most owners of a UDF would strip and throw away, when they want to use their spoils of war. It´s heavy enough without a useless sigthing device.
                        It would be an idea to check out the scratch marks on used old type UDF´s, to see if they have something that match this device.
                        The screw holes for it are there on the first photo here.

Also note the E-Mess tafel behind the bino on display. A graticule can be seen.

Comment

I believe this is a very early piece, as the number is indicating. I have a large database of UDF UZO photos but not right here unfortunately, to check if I can identify any more with those screw holes.

Anyway, I do not think I ever saw it.

Probably after this add-on mechanical sight they went to a built'in ones, we usually see.

Comment

I think they invented the built in sight, and then made the add on as an upgrade for the UDF´s allready in use. Many UDF´s do not have the holes for the add on, so a complete refitting of all boats were apparently completed.
                            That would also mean all uboats must have had the same regulation for the use of the sight. I can guess it has to do with aiming by night. On a dark conning tower, it would be difficult to use a graticule alone, or install illumination.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikedenmark View Post
                              I got to admit, that the missing mount base on the photo of the conning tower make it possible that the origin for this thread may indeed originate with U534.

I didnt lie, it's from U 534, check the number of the UDF in this threat and the number from the UDF which was the reserve UDF which was in the boat and now in the museum.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X