Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dienstglas Bakelite Rainshield Question

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the bakelite lens cover/rainshield for the 6x30 Dienstglas has any markings or not. I thought they may have the circular bakelite code marking stamped on them somewhere. Plus, are there any known fakes being made or were they made postwar and used for a while?

Thanks!

G

Some are marked inside - I have one with "cxn 1941" and others may have other little numbers (mould numbers maybe?).

Comment

I was going to say the same thing.. As for post war the germans got away from the bakelite rain guards and went to rubber before the war ended . So Id image any immediate post war types made were rubber as well. Never seen one with rain guard.
      The late ddx and cad tan 6x30's show exclusive use of the rubber rain guard.

I also found on ebay a W.german set dated 1952 painted black using a prestoff case with pull tab used on wartime cases.

I personally haven't seen a repro Bakelite rain guard.

Comment

Thank you both for the information. I thought the Germans predominately used leather for the rainshields and then bakelite. I was not aware of the rubber ones. Seems like bakelite would not have held up well in the field to me since it is not flexible.

G

Comment

Somebody must have favoured Bakelite - they even made binoculars from it....

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/heer/photos/H001567.html

Comment

Wow, I never saw these made out of Bakelite before! I heard of them, but never saw a photo or any in person before.

Thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
            X