Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zeiss binoculars & case for review

Hello

I'm thinking of buying these from a member. But I never seen zeiss in that style also is the case correct to these optics? Thanks!!
    Attached Files

pics

Attached Files

Comment

pics

Attached Files

Comment

pic's aren't very clear but, I think they are pre ww1 and the case may be orig to the glass. A little early for me but, Im sure others will know.

Comment

Originally posted by MAUSER99 View Post
          pic's aren't very clear but, I think they are pre ww1 and the case may be orig to the glass. A little early for me but, Im sure others will know.

My collection! Same model
          Last edited by Dzuo; 08-11-2015, 08:49 PM.

Comment

DF shows it to be a dienstglas. Stands for Dobbel Fernrohr.
            The P number tell´s us it was a private purchase.

So, an army binocular model, privately purchased.

Army officers were offered a discount by Zeiss if they wanted to buy a privately owned bino of the official army model.
            Most regiment must have received such offers, not only from Zeiss,but also from other makers.
            Sometimes, one officer took the orders, and gained a small amount as an extra discount if he could secure 3-5 or more orders at the same time.

But basically, binoculars at this time was so expensive that few officers could afford them.
            In the end, governments had to foot bills for sufficient bino´s for their forces.
            The governments did not like that, but Zeiss had not a field day, but several field years.

You have to get the blue book by Dr. Seeger, for (many) more details on these.
            I have it here somewhere, but from recollection, the serial number must be around 1902-04.
            Holster is a bit weird. Might be right, but both closure and compass hint, imo to russia.

Comment

Old binocular

Mikedenmark is correct in what he says. The photos are blurred but the right hand side shows DF6x and then P No xxxx. If the owner can tell us the number then I will be able to narrow down the year of production.

The case is genuine too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikedenmark View Post
                Holster is a bit weird. Might be right, but both closure and compass hint, imo to russia.
                The case is Zeiss and looks original to the binocular. See Seeger's new book (green book) page 652.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikedenmark View Post
                  DF shows it to be a dienstglas. Stands for Dobbel Fernrohr.
                  The P number tell´s us it was a private purchase.

So, an army binocular model, privately purchased.

Army officers were offered a discount by Zeiss if they wanted to buy a privately owned bino of the official army model.
                  Most regiment must have received such offers, not only from Zeiss,but also from other makers.
                  Sometimes, one officer took the orders, and gained a small amount as an extra discount if he could secure 3-5 or more orders at the same time.

But basically, binoculars at this time was so expensive that few officers could afford them.
                  In the end, governments had to foot bills for sufficient bino´s for their forces.
                  The governments did not like that, but Zeiss had not a field day, but several field years.

You have to get the blue book by Dr. Seeger, for (many) more details on these.
                  I have it here somewhere, but from recollection, the serial number must be around 1902-04.

I don't think so. The serial number is around 4
                  nubers to early 5 number, so it is made around 1896 to 1900. So it is the production before WWI.

Comment

@Dzuo: I have to disagree - sorry!
                    The D.F.6x was introduced only in 1902.
                    The private number 6xxx indicates an even higher serial number.
                    The first series had zinc lid up and down - the earliest known with aluminum cover have serial numbers for 3300/3400.

I think of a production to 1903/04

Best regards
                    Hans

http://www.fernglasmuseum.at/

Comment

DF6x

Although very feint, it seems that the P No is around 6000. Given this information, the binocular dates from 1906

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                      X