Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dienstglas 6X30 bakelite case

Hello

Here is my 6X30 bakelite case. Lock is made with ersatz leather. Is it common and wartime ?

Which material is used ?

Comment

Originally posted by Euronymous View Post
      Which material is used ?

Comment

Black Bakelite...stamped steel spring catch, with leather straps.....41 dated....padded ends inside to cradle the optics .Regardless of what the material used is called its wartime , and just used to open the case. Looks good to me, although you don't often see them like this ...'where are the optics?

Comment

I have binoculars but they are not on photo. According to you, which kind of material it is ? Could it be a post war repair ?

Comment

Looks like DDR/NVA material to me. They used a lot of vinyl coated/ rubberized cloth.
            If wartime, you would expect more ersatz or g43 pouch material.

bes regards

Comment

Thanks but again some bad news unfortunately ... Collection is really a headache !!!!

Comment

not to worry.. pull tab is 100% orig.. Its usually broken off so they aren't often seen. They used scrap pleather or ersatz leather they called it or Prestoff which is a plastic covered paper. The rear straps are sometimes made of paper and they break at the hinge point that is supper common.. The Germans experimented a lot with Leather substitutes and vinyl and presstoff were two materials used.

Comment

Thanks ! I would say my pull tab is made with a cloth covered with vinyl. It looks like rubberized and very solid. Have you ever seen other exemples of lid mounted with that kind of material ?

Comment

During WW2 Germans made binoculars for swedish forces. Here comes an example of an export modele for Sweden. The pull tab is made with the same material. In my opinion, it's a good proof it's not DDR/NVA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bakelite-bin...p2047675.l2557

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                    X