Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Binoculars Captured during D-Day

Hi folks,

I picked up a pair of WW2 German binoculars back in 2011 from a chap on Ebay. I think I only paid £17.00 for them and he had only placed the most basic of description pertaining to the sale. When I queried the origin of the binoculars he told me that his father had served in the Royal Warickshire Regiment and was involved in the D-Day landings in France, he saw a lot of action but would only talk about it when he had a drink, he said how he got them he didn't know. The glasses are really cool and have some wear with age, they are a little foggy to look through... not bad considering what they must have gone through. They have a range finder inside as well so I'm guessing they were maybe used originally by an artillery regiment? I've done a bit of a google search on the Royal Warickshires pertaining to DDay onward and from what I can gather they were involved in heavy fighting on DDay and then around Caen for some time against various units, infantry, panzer, SS etc. and that the battle around caen did involve an assault on a nearby ridge that was used by artillery. Most of the info I've come across seems to centre around Canadian troops, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the history of the Royal Warickshires during this period? Of course I'll never know the exact story behind the binoculars... but my imagination is fired up somewhat and I'd love to know more about the battles the Royal Warickshires were involved in...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=c22059a9eb

I see no way to tell what they even are from that one photo. A story is just a story and there is really no way to prove or disprove it.. Sometimes a capture document can tie an item to an event.

Comment

Not a great picture - but the hinge washer retaining screw and eyecups all say German Dienstglas 6x30 ie a German Army issue binocular.

Sadly, we Brits weren't as forward thinking as the US to have capture documents to facilitate souvenir gathering. In fact I've read it was officially frowned on - especially as many desirable items were booby trapped.

So sometimes all you have to go on is the story of the veteran or his family. But if the story comes out only after asking and when the sale's complete (when they've nothing to gain by embellishing) maybe the story could be true?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X