German RangeFinder

Attached Files

Comment

German RangeFinder

Attached Files

Comment

German RangeFinder

Hello Forum Members, I have never owned one of these larger
          Rangefinders, I think they were used in WWI and early WWII.
          I thought the paint might be a post war job, but now I can tell it is not.
          Has anyone seen a stand for these ? Could some one send me pictures of one on a stand.
          Do you agree with my assesment of it being a WWI and used early in WWII ?
          I know it is large, and I like it. Opinions remarks, information from anybody ?
          Merry Christmas to all,
          Jack
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jack!
            Congratulations - a very nice telemeter of rare Manufacturer Hahn Kassel.
            Together Hahn and Hensoldt these have been 1892/93 produced.
            Presumably this piece in WW I was prepared.
            From 1927 the company Hahn Kassel was taken over by Zeiss Ikon.
            best Regards
            Hans

Comment

The Hahn company started building rangefinders for the german army in 1917.

A late war entry in that field for a company that originally built the very first rangefinders.
              Made of brass (as far as I recall) and covered by wood, like old brass telescopes.
              The very first test was done by a nobleman, (and financier of the project) who carried the first instrument along, following a prussian unit on manouvers.

Hahn were pushed out from the market by Goerz and Zeiss around 1900. Hahn probably lacked the skill for negotiations, and his shop was probably too small for the task.
              Making Mr Hahn an old, enbittered man.

He invented/built the thing, and everybody else got rich. He also built the german navy coastal fort rangefinder model 1878. Looks somewhat like a turned over sextant.

Some of the earliest rangefinders can be found in swedish museums.

http://www.digitaltmuseum.se/things/...count=31&pos=2

http://www.digitaltmuseum.se/things/...unt=120&pos=23

Sorry folk´s. I still think they have a Hahn too. I can´t find it.
              Only Hahn, I can find, was this:

http://www.digitaltmuseum.se/things/...ount=20&pos=17

The rangefinder shown here at WA is most likely 1917-1918 german vintage.

Hahn wasn´t one of the companies that was allowed to supply the Reichwehr, so they could not make something like this after 1920. (Versaille treaty)

Addition. rangefinders
              http://www.digitaltmuseum.se/search?...ntext=1&page=1
              Have fun
              Last edited by Mikedenmark; 12-23-2013, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Dear Mikael,
                I wish you all the best for the new year.

I find your contribution on Hahn rangfinders most interesting. Can you give us some links were we can read more about this company?

The intense development of binoculars and rangfinders at the end of the 1900th century facinates me. In the Swedish military littrature from this period, for example Dyrrsen; Sjöartilleriets grunder (seaartillery basics) from 1906, several primitive rangfinders are mentioned. I don't have access to my books here in my Swedish summer cottage, but I remember instruments from Madsen, Unge, Fleuri(?) and there are others whos name I have forgotten. They usually uses triangulation or some kind of graticule for the messurements. Dyrssen also mentions trailes with a revolutionary new concept from Barr and Stroud. I have never seen the firm Hahn mentioned.

Are you telling us that the optical rangefinder, as we know it, is an invention of Mr. Hahn and not from Mr. Barr and Mr. Stroud?

Comment

Rangefinder

Hello, The facts have been pretty impressive so far, but does nayone know what a Tripod or mounting article would look like ?
                  Thanks Jack
                  A Happy New Year To ALL

Comment

The two metal barrs underneath the ocular were used to connect the instrument to a tripod, I think. This type of mount is new to me.

Comment

I have photo´s here somewhere of that mount. But right now I cannot find them.
                      They are in Dr. Seegers very old blue book with Zeiss sales pages.

Then I thought I could find photo´s on the web.
                      But apparently not.

And I didn´t take photo´s when I was offered a tripod for it a couple of years ago.

Comment

Maybe this help ... little

http://anteeksi.sunnyday.jp/jissya/i...taan/iltj.html

1,25m hahn was finnish Flak artillerys first rangefinder.

Comment

Hahn

http://aijaa.com/JODcct

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X