Binocular restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binocular restoration

Has anyone had any restoration or repair work done by a company called "Mountain Optics" located in Montana? The company was highly recommended by the "Deutshe Optik" publication as being one of the best restoration companies around.

I have spoken with the owner a couple of times and I mailed my 7X50 tuna can bino's for an estimate to disassemble and clean and repair the prisms and internal optics, and replace the black pebble covering on the left barrel housing which is missing, plus re-glue the seams on the material covering the right barrel housing and the prism housings.

I was verbally quoted a price of $425. My problem is he will not email me a written quote. He said,"I told you the repairs I will do and the cost, thats the way I have always done it". He also wants me to sent him a check for $425 before he will start the work. I understand payment up front (incase I die and he calls my wife for payment and she says keep them), I Just would like to know some background on the company. I am assuming the company is a one man shop that does good work.

Mountain Optics

Dan does good work. Be specific in what you want done. If the paint is ok, I would not have him repaint. Only problem I have had is the very slow turn around in completing the work.

Comment

I have a guy in mass who does basic overhaul for 125.00 but he has no source for the leather wrap. I have a few that need new skin. If some one knows where I can get the leather skin please speak up !!

Comment

Might be worth trying some camera restoration sites - I think they use the same material.....

Comment

Try Microtools in California. They also have European store. Their 4040 leatherette is almost a perfect match for many vintage Leitz and Hensoldt coverings: http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-4...18inx11in.aspx

Comment

Original poster here. I checked out micro-tools.com and they have a section for camera restoration. The 4040 leatherette is labeled as "on back order" on the web page. I called the company and the person I spoke with stated they no longer carry the 4040 leatherette. Micro-tools carried another leatherette "4056" that has a coarser pebble grain then the 4040. I ordered the 4056, $10 plus shipping for a 18" x 11" self adhesive piece and it is a very close match for my "beh" tuna cans. There is a photo on the web site comparing the two materials, and I felt the 4056 was a closer match for my bino's.

The pebble grain matches very well but the material is a matte black where the leatherette material on my bino's is glossy from use, the original material probably was also matte black when new. I will have to replace all of the leatherette for a match, but the results will be great.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X