Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM - Zeiss DF 7x50 Artl.

Hi guys,

after visiting a relative i unexpectedly returned home with this battered beauty, a mysterious heirloom and now the 1st Kriegsmarine piece in my collection (2nd Zeiss bino).
    It did not take long to figure out the markings browsing some threads but a few uncertaintees remain that can hopefully be corrected and or/added onto.

I assume the SN ( 2070904 ) indicates production in (early) 1940 and artl. assignment to coastal artillery (also wonder if the eyecup area is complete)?

Kind regards, Olivier.

Nice one! You're right about the date - one of a batch of 1000 made in March 1940. The high relief oculars (designed for use with gas masks and sun goggles) give very pleasing views.

Your one is missing the rubber eyeguards and the Artl designation means it was originally intended for Artl units - some sy this also included sea going artillery officers (which the big ships had)

Many Artl marked binoculars ended up on U Boats as shown in William Reid's book and in my own experience of collecting. Diesel fumes were lethal to the rubber - which may explain it's loss. Often Bakelite or even brass replacement eyecups were used. A nice example

Comment

I have one from the same batch #2070763 and Flak. (Kuste) Nr. 6157. Also missing the GM rubber eyecups and mount, replaced with period fixed Bakelite eyecups.... just as you said Ernie !

Comment

This one miss the gasmask rubber ocular

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Palmer View Post
          I have one from the same batch #2070763 and Flak. (Kuste) Nr. 6157. Also missing the GM rubber eyecups and mount, replaced with period fixed Bakelite eyecups.... just as you said Ernie !

The diesel fumes make the soft rubber all gummy. For some reason it always amuses me that the German for rubber is "gummi". Maybe I need to get out more!

Comment

For your information they make new gasmask rubber oculars to this bino.
            Do a search on ebay

Andy

Comment

Thanks for that - I've seen them in red and black. I'd rather stick with the original Bakelite and brass ones I have fitted. But the repros are good for those who have nothing and wish to complete the binocular - like Olivier

Comment

Wartime fitted Bakelite eyecups on U boat used gasmask bino;

http://www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=3714

Comment

Appreciate the additional information Sgt. Bilko, glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for the tip Andy, however on similar examples i found online none seem to resemble the wide rimmed structure on top of mine iirc, not sure how it "should" look with the correct "gummi".
                  Could anyone perhaps give me a lead on what to look out for (are they easy to install btw)? EDIT: http://www.opticalrepairs.com/images/d.jpg seem to be the right type so only question about fitting them remains i guess...

On http://www.binoculars-cinecollectors...al_page_2.html i saw a 10x50 with Fla. (Küste) markings, does yours have this wide rim at the eyepiece aswell Mike?

Regards, Olivier
                  Last edited by Olivier V.; 10-17-2013, 05:00 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Olivier, the wide metal rim is what the rubber eyecup is fixed to, it should slide up and down. See #221274660483. Mine has been removed and replaced with a bakelite cup. That metal mount is in two halves which screw together, if you can unscrew the two parts then you can quite easily fit a new rubber cup, (which I happen to sell).

Comment

I do see the rubber remains of the eyecups in the outer rings which i thought was some dirt and dust earlier. Im going to leave it as it is for now, thanks for the info Mike! ( didnt quite get the #221274660483 reference, where do i look at it? ).

Comment

The almighty ebay.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X