Clear All

dd
    Attached Files

Comment

ee
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

Maybe someday, someone will uncover original documentation and the answer will be clear. But until then we can only go by what we find...
        Indeed, and when you think through the production process of a pair of "Dienstglas 7x50" binoculars, then the aforesaid markings on the top prism plate are going to be stamped separately from the Serial Number and any other extra lubrication or 'T' mark engravings according to the batch/order - so it does seem that according to the number of these BMK binoculars that have been found in the wild that it's plausible to believe that these binoculars are merely an extra order for the KM (with coatings and extra flip-out eyepieces) that were ordered mid-production; and where the required changes to the top prism plate tooling to remove the 'Dienstglas' stamp by the creation a new pair of die stamping tools for such a small production run was completely unjustified.

I'd suggest that we continue to log the serial number range(s) of this, or multiple batches, and it can be so-written.

Paul

Comment

this is a great topic. I have always wondered the purpose of this small run of BMK with the hinged eye pieces. What is the purpose ? I have seen many sets but, I have been able to purchase a set. It's very possible that these were a very short run for the KM ? Bmk was one of the few makers that made their own cases and accessories as well. Maybe the case was Km marked ? I have yet to see one of these with its original case..

Comment

Thanks for an edifying discussion. I think Dr Seeger was right-on when he described a similar bmk binoc as KM.
            B Regds, John

Comment

Originally posted by wilddieb View Post
              i watch the market for years.
              there is no original binoculars marked with "Dienstglas" and the "KM Eagle".
              KM Marked Dienstglas Binoculars - I've only looked through my 6x30 files but it shows my point;

Axis history forum shows an Oigee KM marked Dienstglas number 7588. I've also seen an identical one numbered 7591 which suggests perhaps a short production run. Another I have on file (again identical) I can't make out the 4 digit serial.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...f=20&p=1551026

Right hand side markings-
              Dienstglas
              6X30
              M H/6400

Left hand side markings-
              Eagle with swastika and the letter M below
              Oigee Berlin

Busch also made KM marked 6x30's but in very limited numbers (I have one).

Don't feel too bad about missing them - I only highlight them in the spirit of friendly sharing of knowledge.

Comment

I meant to add my own bmk dienstglas 7x50 with "T" coated lenses, flip up eye rims and "+" reticule - serial number 153560

It certainly is an interesting subject and if we all swap serials maybe we can make some sense out of it

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Bilko View Post
                  KM Marked Dienstglas Binoculars - I've only looked through my 6x30 files but it shows my point;

Axis history forum shows an Oigee KM marked Dienstglas number 7588. I've also seen an identical one numbered 7591 which suggests perhaps a short production run. Another I have on file (again identical) I can't make out the 4 digit serial.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...f=20&p=1551026

Right hand side markings-
                  Dienstglas
                  6X30
                  M H/6400

Left hand side markings-
                  Eagle with swastika and the letter M below
                  Oigee Berlin

Busch also made KM marked 6x30's but in very limited numbers (I have one).

Don't feel too bad about missing them - I only highlight them in the spirit of friendly sharing of knowledge.
                  Sorry, but the KM markings on the Oigee Dienstglas and the Zeiss in the Link are fakes.

can you show your 6x30 Busch binoculars?

Comment

bad fakes at that

Comment

Originally posted by wilddieb View Post
                      Sorry, but the KM markings on the Oigee Dienstglas and the Zeiss in the Link are fakes.

can you show your 6x30 Busch binoculars?

I know the Zeiss is a fake and apologies for anyone having to view it. It was the Oigee I spoke of. The Eagle isn't right if it's meant to be a Leitz or Zeiss Eagle. But not all Eagles are the same. I thought it may be an Oigee Eagle - less intricate and stylised - as many early KM Eagles were (for example on clocks and watches).

The Oigee binoculars themselves look fairly early with low serials and brass prism plates. And it must be a lucky faker to have gotten hold of two binoculars so near in serial numbers 7588 + 7591....

If the Oigee's are known to be fakes - am I the only one to have a genuine Kriegsmarine marked Dienstglas 6x30?

I'll sends pictures to Carsten if he wants to put them on this forum.I'm sure there'll be plenty of comments. But I don't seek re-assurance. I already know what I have

Comment

on behalf of Stg Bilko i post some pictures of three 6x30 Dienstglas binoculars with KM-markings to discuss them.

At first one 6x30 Busch Dienstglas
                        Attached Files

Comment

the second one

6x30 Dienstglas Oigee
                          Attached Files

Comment

the third one

6x30 Dienstglas Oigee
                            Attached Files

Comment

the last one

6x30 Dienstglas Oigee
                              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Carsten! My reason for thinking them "Early KM" is because that's how Rohan describes the "drop wing eagle" in his blue book. Obviously if he's got it wrong so have I!

He repeats this three times - when showing the evolution of German Navy markings page 52, on a Voigtlander 7x50 page 73 and with a Zeiss 6x30 on page 86.

But NickN has kindly informed me they're Reichsmarine markings - not KM. I seem to recall a Norwegian friend pointing this out too.

So maybe it's a question of semantics - when did the Weimar or Reichsmarine become the KM? The date given in most books is that the KM was formed in 1935 - but I have another binocular - a Zeiss Silvarem with a "drop wing eagle" and a serial number suggesting June 1936 issue. So who knows?

I still think it possible the Oigees may have a stylised early KM marking - it would need to be a fortunate faker to have found two binoculars with such close serial numbers. But I accept anything's possible. Sadly this hobby of ours requires a high level of skepticism due to the constant threat of fakery. But I'm optimistic enough to believe there are still things we still can learn from hidden away in attics and boxes.....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                                X