JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Ruka Rathenow SS dienstglas, opinons please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Ruka Rathenow SS dienstglas, opinons please!

Hi all,

This Ruka Rathenow SS 6X30 dienstglas is my latest collection, I'd like to hear your opinons, thanks! Yun

those look very early. And the process for applying maker and serial number and dienstglas marking was different than the later glass. These are raised and not stamped or engraved into the plates. Im not sure how this was accomplished ? weather the image was struck from behind or acid applied? Im really not sure.

To answer you're question. I for one like the markings. They look correctly applied for the period. This early process is even harder to fake. I.M.H.O.

Comment

Hi MAUSER99,
      I am interested in having more info about these SS-Dienstglas marked binos.
      This pair also looks nice to me.
      Are these plates made of brass?
      Were the early ones all made like this?
      What would be the give away signs of fakes?
      Thanks!

Comment

Mine are 101xxx serial range and plates are aluminum. I like yours.

Comment

Originally posted by richthofen_117 View Post
          Hi all,

This Ruka Rathenow SS 6X30 dienstglas is my latest collection, I'd like to hear your opinons, thanks! Yun
          This is the correct original early binoculars RUKA SS.
          Stamps are filled with low-melting metal.
          Good condition! Congratulations on a wonderful adding to the collection!
          Andy

Comment

nice find,i have never seen on in person with SS stamps,must be not easy to find

Comment

Originally posted by MAUSER99 View Post
              those look very early. And the process for applying maker and serial number and dienstglas marking was different than the later glass. These are raised and not stamped or engraved into the plates. Im not sure how this was accomplished ? weather the image was struck from behind or acid applied? Im really not sure.

To answer you're question. I for one like the markings. They look correctly applied for the period. This early process is even harder to fake. I.M.H.O.
              Yes the markings are bulging and not engraved into the plates. I have seen another Ruka SS binos on WAF before, the markings are different with mine, and the serial number are 6 digits, that's why I am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusmann View Post
                This is the correct original early binoculars RUKA SS.
                Stamps are filled with low-melting metal.
                Good condition! Congratulations on a wonderful adding to the collection!
                Andy
                Thanks Andy
                The binos are fairly good though the leather cover on the right grip was broken.
                Further opinions are welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by richthofen_117 View Post
                  Yes the markings are bulging and not engraved into the plates. I have seen another Ruka SS binos on WAF before, the markings are different with mine, and the serial number are 6 digits, that's why I am curious.

the method used for applying the maker and diensglas Ect. has nothing to do with them being SS or Ruka. this was the early process that was changed. It may have had something to do with the material change from brass to Aul. ? I always wondered how the early hallmarks were applied. I figured reversed stamped. ??

Comment

Originally posted by MAUSER99 View Post
                    the method used for applying the maker and diensglas Ect. has nothing to do with them being SS or Ruka. this was the early process that was changed. It may have had something to do with the material change from brass to Aul. ? I always wondered how the early hallmarks were applied. I figured reversed stamped. ??
                    Yes, this is due to the reduction in the cost of production and the change of materials from brass to aluminum.
                    All manufacturers in the late 30s switched to aluminum.
                    For a new marking used stamps and sometimes engraving.

Comment

SS dienstglas

It may just be the angle that the first photos were taken but to me it seems that the objective lens's are coated?if that is the case then they are not right

Comment

I've noticed the same effect in pictures of binoculars I've bought. Turns out that sometimes the cement between the doublets give the impression, from certain angles, of being coated. I think they look good but, even if they are coated, there's no saying what happened post war. I've a 1930's Zeiss Septarem and a 1930's Barr and Stroud that both had coated objectives fitted post war

Comment

Originally posted by amberjake View Post
                          It may just be the angle that the first photos were taken but to me it seems that the objective lens's are coated?if that is the case then they are not right
                          Both of the objective and ocular lenses are not coated. The "coating" on the lens you saw in previous picture is the reflection of blue sky

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Bilko View Post
                            I've noticed the same effect in pictures of binoculars I've bought. Turns out that sometimes the cement between the doublets give the impression, from certain angles, of being coated. I think they look good but, even if they are coated, there's no saying what happened post war. I've a 1930's Zeiss Septarem and a 1930's Barr and Stroud that both had coated objectives fitted post war
                            You mean some of the early binoculars were disassembled and re-coated post war?

Comment

Nice Tartan - "Royal Stewart" if I'm not mistaken. As to coated objectives - I think many top manufacturers offered to replace the objectives with coated ones after the war.

No other parts of my Barr and Stroud (a "private purchase one - not royal Navy owned) or my Septarem (a "donated to the war effort" then sold publicly) are coated - only the objectives.....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X