Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

binoculars rln 8x30

Welcome!
    Help determine the year of issue of the binoculars rln 8x30 ( № 2206134).
    And approximate market value (is not for sale)?
    Like any further information about this binoculars.
    Link to photos:
    http://files.mail.ru/316337F73C704602B9DBB86EBDA0FC24
    Last edited by prana1933; 06-23-2013, 05:08 PM.

yes, they are real. I have only seen one other set of these ever.. They showed up on ebay about 4 years ago. I think they sold in the 7-800 dollar range. 8x30 dienstglas are very scarce. They may have just been using them up from the foreign contracts of 42/43 ?? The german's never seemed to use this power bino. very often.. Zeiss made 8x30 commercial pre-war and I can only assume the body and parts are somewhat the same ? I hope this answers you're questions.

Comment

Hi gents!
      The main question - In what year was this made ​​binoculars??
      In the Seeger's book - they produced a total of six batches of 12,500 units in 1943. Serial number matches this year. Covering the body is not too late. But, it is believed that the code of RLN was assigned in November 1944!
      This information can also be found in the Hans Seeger's book Fernglaser und Fernrohre. Here's a link to the codes of optics:
      http://www.actionoptics.co.uk/German%20WWII%20Codes.htm

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
        Question: the numbering of the binoculars (№ 2206134) corresponds production in 1942. But marking RLN appeared on Zeiss binoculars after November 1944.
        How to explain this discrepancy?

Comment

rln

rln is the late war code for Zeiss. Produced late '44 or early '45. Uncommon but not rare. These appear to be in nice condition.

Comment

Here is a pair I own. This is the only pair I have encountered at shows, so am glad to see there are others.
            Attached Files
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

It is not uncommon to find rln 8 x 30s binos with brown Zeiss marked leather or preßstoff cases. I have never attempted to see whether rln 8x30s fit into a standard issue 6x30 bakelite case. On the right is a set of rln 8x30 binos posted by Sigi on the forum some time back.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Michael Downey; 06-25-2013, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Here is another case with a view inside the lid.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Michael Downey; 06-25-2013, 01:22 AM.

Comment

The rln 8x30 binos are usually in very good condition which makes me wonder whether they were ever issued.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is a front and rear view.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Michael Downey; 06-25-2013, 01:33 AM.

Comment

I have also observed rln 8x30s being issued in black preßstoff cases.
                      Attached Files

Comment

front and rear views
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Michael Downey; 06-25-2013, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks Michael, that is very information and helpful. Not sure why we don't encounter them (binos and cases) over here, when there are so many binos at shows.
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I have two sets of 8x30's that are part of a Bulgarian or Romanian contract. They are both in the brown case. Both are commercial marked and made in Germany added under the zeiss logo. Then the eagle/waa202 underneath.

I have a set of black rln coded 6x30's in the black commercial prestoff case and just saw an identical set sell on ebay a few weeks back.

Most of these are found in "as new" condition.

I think as I said before zeiss was using up leftovers of the export contract and made the 8x30 dienstglas for the military.

I think the body size is similar enough that the 8x30's will fit in the 6x30 case.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Parker View Post
                              rln is the late war code for Zeiss. Produced late '44 or early '45. Uncommon but not rare. These appear to be in nice condition.
                              But, if you look at the serial number - it is made in 1943.
                              This information was confirmed by Seeger in his book.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X