Why are U boat optics so expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are U boat optics so expensive

Can anybody tell me why these binoculars are so expensive? Were not many produced? Take these for example. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...271508623&rd=1 How do you know these are commanders binoculars anyway? I've been confused with these for ages.

Well, I guess most of them sunk ...

Bart

Comment

Originally posted by GJR100
      Well, I guess most of them sunk ...

Bart

Best answer I've ever heard on this forum!!!!

Comment

Yes very good answer. They are certainly very nice peices of kit. But has anybody else noticed though that a lot have suddenly cropped up recently for sale on Ebay? Is it just me?

Comment

U-Boat Commander binoculars.

If you check out the Deutsche Optik board you will see the occasional "cat fight" about these sets and a particluar dealer who poses as a collector .
          This gent has his own methods of extracting the last cent using ebay as a shop window and then emailing bidders to ask them "what will your top price" , plays one against the other , cancels sale , saves fees , plus gets top $ on the set or better.
          A good set of this type is quite unique and is hard to come by , would love one myself but it won't be for a while yet
          True , most did sink and that's a good answer .
          Other point is , stcik U-boat on something and the price goes up , and something which is so100% U-Boat / Commander related and its made by Zeiss and well £1500 plus becomes possible.

Comment

Originally posted by behblc
            stcik U-boat on something and the price goes up
            EXACTLY. The same thing happens with 'SS", 'Panzer', and 'Afrika Korps'. Put any of those with something and people start salivating like Pavlov's dogs - whether it's true or not- and far too often it's the latter...

Matt

Comment

U-Bootglas

The pea green blc Kommandant 8x60 and blc 7x50 are two binoculars which were made for submarine service and no other arm.
              Did the set you have actually see service difficult to be 100% unless you know the history of the ownership.
              See this set closed at £2400 odd. having said that it was in very good order and it would be a once in alife time buy.
              Given a choice between in and a RK and I would take the binocular , and that is honest.

Some day , well i have already seen a set described as being " Afrika Corp U-boat binoculars" , now that covers every base on ebay

Attached jpeg 9 size is not too good , shows the 7x50 version , a good bit less expensive than the 8x.
              Weight wise the 8x must have been an absolute tramp to use on a moving deck.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by behblc; 03-05-2006, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your comments Guys. behblc, Matt L, BenVK, GJR100, I give you my thanks. Cheers.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X