Leitz 7x50 Binos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leitz 7x50 Binos

Picked up a nice set of Leitz binos, complete with the rubber armour which is still supple and not dried out. Case is good condition too, dated 1944.
    My question is, with eveything else about the set being pretty nice, I'd like to complete it and the filters which should be in the little pocket in the inside of the lid are missing.
    Apart from keeping an eye on EBay in the forlron hope some might trn up, are there any other sources for bino accessories such as these ?
    Last edited by Gordon Williamson; 08-30-2008, 11:55 PM.

Nice! To whom were this type of binocular issued? I've often seen them called "U-boat binoculars" but so far I've seen this exact type in only a couple of photos, and none on U-boats. I think they were associated with the E-boats. Do you have photos of these in use?

Comment

There are lots of photos in the U-Boat Archiv of bino sets like these with the heavy rubber "armour" being used on U-Boats but I don't believe they were unique to U-Boats (Of course on EBay every type of German binocular ever used is likely to be listed as U-Boat).
      Just about any set of non-armoured binos can show up in wartime photos of U-Boats from the early part of the war. It was only later that the specific U-Boat sets like the fabulous U-Boot Kommandantenglas that Michel has were isssued and some of these can easily set you back the price of a Knight's Cross. These had massive heavy casings to avoid damage.

I guess the rubber armour was used on sets like these on smaller ships like U-Boats and E-Boats where clambering in and out of narrow hatches meant they would get knocked around a lot.

Comment

Gordon,
        Not easy to find the small accessories for binoculars or other KM instruments, I will open my eyes for you...
        This type of binoculars (war model), was in use for all the Kriegmarine's small ships, including the U-Boots.
        This exemple is a nice one.
        Best,
        Michel
        Ohne Seemacht, keine Weltmacht !

Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=522068

Always interested by Kriegsmarine headgear, uniform and U-Boot related items.

Comment

Nice set.

I sold a set with filters about 2-3 years ago and have had a healthy case of
          "sellers regret" ever since.
          Yes , I would agree with Michel the filters are hard to get on their own and mostly turn up only in part when sold with a binocular.
          Apart from my own set I only ever seen others two sold from Mark Jarrot that had filters with them.
          The actual binocular itself when clean is a joy to use , the eye cup is extremely comfortable to the eye.
          To date I have only found photos of them in use by S/"E" Boat crews , if anyone can send me a jpeg of them in use by U-boat crews I would be delighted. ( If a man of Gordon's reputation say's photos exist that is good enoguh for me ).

Certainly every set sold on ebay is a "U-Boat" , " Afrika Korp" or a "Panzer" set.

I had the use of a friends 8x60 a few weeks ago and my word what a baby . The best way to describe it ...like "a hand held flakglas".
          Mind blowing.
          You are a lucky man Michel , a great set to have.

Comment

Porro II

Hope this comes out in some decent shape.
            This photo borrowed from "S-Boote" German E-Boats in Action by Jean-PhilippeDallies-Labourdette.
            Page 66.
            Attached Files

Comment

So far, that is still the only clear photo of this exact type of Binocular I've seen published. I wonder why these are the most commonly available KM binocular today but are, in my experience, the least often seen in wartime photos.

Comment

True.

To date I have found this photograph and seen one set via newsreel footage shot on an "E" / "S" Boat.

There was one model of leitz which resembles the tuna can type only it has desicator cells mounted on prism housings , this type is seen with rubber objective armour.

I would certainly be interested in seeing other jpegs of this type in use , especially any on a U-boat , the changing circumstances of the war might well have a lot to do with the photographic evidence we would like to see !

Comment

Hello Gordon,
                  You might try Deutche Optik. They have a pretty good supply of nice stuff like that from time to time. The other possible source would be Strand Surplus if they are still around. They were located in Galveston TX.

Cheers
                  Gary

Originally posted by Gordon Williamson
                  Picked up a nice set of Leitz binos, complete with the rubber armour which is still supple and not dried out. Case is good condition too, dated 1944.
                  My question is, with eveything else about the set being pretty nice, I'd like to complete it and the filters which should be in the little pocket in the inside of the lid are missing.
                  Apart from keeping an eye on EBay in the forlron hope some might trn up, are there any other sources for bino accessories such as these ?

Comment

Filters.

Ebay will probably surrender a set sooner or later .
                    I have tried to get an answer from "D.O." looking for several items but for some reason they don't seem to be answering emails.
                    Given the international reputation the firm has I find it strange , they have recently re-located which may have something to do with it.
                    Last edited by behblc; 05-06-2006, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Nice piece! What would be current market value of such pristine example?

Regards

Carl

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X