Opinions about U boat blc 7x50 binoculars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions about U boat blc 7x50 binoculars

I am interested in this U boat 7x50 blc binoculars. As you can see on the pictures the binoculars is in very good condition. My only thoughts were "could it be that the binoculars are painted over"?

What do you think? First a couple of pictures taken indoors.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Two more pictures taken indoor.
    Attached Files

Comment

Pictures taken outdoor.
      Attached Files

Comment

I know from previous posts that the topic of resprays of u-boat binos is a touchy topic. But in my view your question can be easily answered.

See the non-standard replacement screw (on the underside of the bridge) securing the bridge shaft. Why do I call the screw a replacement? It is because the original screw fitted closely to the bridge shaft and was covered by putty and only the putty was painted, but not the screw head. When the putty is scraped away the original screw head would appear as unpainted. In summary, bridge shaft screw heads were never painted. The replacement screw head is so large that 1 ton of putty cannot be applied to hide it. If the paint on the posted binos is the same as the replacement screw head then there is no doubt in my mind that the binos have been resprayed as the paint looks to me to be the same colour/hue on the binos and the replacement screw. Original bridge shaft screws are made of aluminium. I would bet that this replacement screw is not made of aluminium.

The rain guard looks to be a plastic reproduction (rather than a bakelite original). I may be wrong though.

The upper rubbers look to be reproductions. Although the reproduction u-boat rubbers available to collectors are of excellent quality, the upper rubbers are not perfect copies. I have physically compared both reproductions with original rubbers. While original u-boat rubbers can be found without crazing I bet the upper rubbers on the posted binos have no crazing which is consistent with repro rubbers.

The lower rubbers of the binos posted are not u-boat rubbers. Original lower u-boat rubbers have distinctive features which these rubbers do not have. The reproduction lower rubbers available to collectors are a very close copy of the original rubbers. The lower rubbers posted here are not even reproduction u-boat rubbers.

U-boat binos always have discolouration where lower rubber meets the paintwork. There is no discolouration present which indicates a respray. I hope this helps your evaluation. Incidentally, what is the serial number of the binos? Certain serial numbers were only issued in rough lacquer and not smooth lacquer. There are other tell-tale signs of respray (such as semi-gloss finish and dust particles) that suggest respray.
        Last edited by Michael Downey; 10-31-2012, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks Michael for your input. Very informative and much appreciated. Learned something more on binoculars. I will pass on this one.
          I do not know what serial number this bino have. It is not in my possession.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X