Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8x50 binoculars MINT

Hello,

I would like to know a bit more about these binoculars. Owner says they are revisited "T" binoculars made in France (under German production) for use by Afrika troops.

Thx for your help
    Attached Files

8x50 Mint

No's 3 and 4
    Attached Files

Comment

7x50 bino's MINT

No's 5 and 6
      Attached Files

Comment

7x50 binos MINT

Small error in title = 7x50 i.s.o. 8x50 !

Comment

7x50

Not wartime Grman. Huet is the only maker that made tan painted binoculars early enough to be Africa Corp. You see a lot of late war 6x30 and 10x50 binoculars that are marketed as Africa Corp. They are not.

Comment

7x50 binos

Originally posted by Bill Parker View Post
            Not wartime Grman. Huet is the only maker that made tan painted binoculars early enough to be Africa Corp. You see a lot of late war 6x30 and 10x50 binoculars that are marketed as Africa Corp. They are not.
            Hi Bill,

K.O.V. is referenced as one of Germany's WWII producers for binos. Bernard et Turenne/Etablissement, Barbier Paris.
            Are you sure that K.O.V. has only produced tan painted binos after war?
            Tan painted does not mean Afrika Korps. A lot of Russian (Blue triangle) used binos are also tan painted.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Excelsior View Post
              Hi Bill,

K.O.V. is referenced as one of Germany's WWII producers for binos. Bernard et Turenne/Etablissement, Barbier Paris.
              Are you sure that K.O.V. has only produced tan painted binos after war?
              Tan painted does not mean Afrika Korps. A lot of Russian (Blue triangle) used binos are also tan painted.

Regards
              Hi Excelsior and Bill Parker, I thought I'd add my 2 cents re" K.O.V" / "kov". The German 3 letter codes introduced say 1941 that I have seen are all in lower case characters without a stop after each character. Your picture shows non standard formats which to me suggest K.O.V signifies not a manufacturer but something else.

Comment

I agree, K.O.V. is not a Manufacturer Code, but it is maybe the Initials for the Manufacturer. Paint, Rivets and Button Flap looks typical German, the Glass and the Markings not. It is a foreign Manufacturer who had produced it obviously for the Wehrmacht. It would be interesting to know who was the Manufacturer

Andy

Comment

7x50 binos

Thank you all for your opinions!

Could these be of Eastern Europe origin? Unfortunately I cannot reference the K.O.V. as such.

Does anybody know what the 'T' stands for? Seller explains it is a 'revisited (technically improved)' binos.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Excelsior View Post
                    Thank you all for your opinions!

Could these be of Eastern Europe origin? Unfortunately I cannot reference the K.O.V. as such.

Does anybody know what the 'T' stands for? Seller explains it is a 'revisited (technically improved)' binos.

Regards
                    I always understood the 'T' to signify coated optics to reduce or mitigate reflective glare. The coating was on the outside of the external objective lenses.

For the other lettering, I can only think of Kalinka, the Russian firm, but their lettering was KOM3 and a symbol, there might have been a subsidiary factory in the Eastern occupied areas (like yugoslavia, czech, hungary )that was renamed under the occupation. No other idea.
                    Last edited by mlespaul; 08-18-2010, 01:31 PM.

Comment

kov----------------- Bernard et Turenne, Establissement Barbier, Paris
                      T-----------------Coated lens

Comment

You would not normally find coated lens going to the Army - they would have no use for them in that state.
                        In every way this set has been repainted and reworked.

Comment

Originally posted by behblc View Post
                          You would not normally find coated lens going to the Army - they would have no use for them in that state.
                          In every way this set has been repainted and reworked.
                          I don't think this set repainted! the desert yellow is special and can not find the aberration.

Comment

I came across this interesting thread whilst browsing and instantly recognised the binocular in question (I have one beside me now).

It's a military BBT Krauss 7x50 with coated optics from the 1950's - 1970's. It's been poorly engraved and horribly repainted but the following links show what I mean;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERB-DAN...p2047675.l2557

http://www.binoculars-cinecollectors..._unusp_8a.html

By the way - tan binoculars were in Africa if this picture (shown in many books) is to be believed - which I do!

http://fallschirmjager.tumblr.com/po...oke-break-ahhh

Comment

The first link is for a danish army Model 1950 BBT Krauss 7x50 binocular.
                              The photo´s show on my screen as almost pink.

The colour is a darker tan/green than the german WWII type.
                              Most of the holsters I have seen are marked 1953-54-55. So I think we can narrow it down to 1950-1955.
                              The danish navy got their first rubber armoured binocular in 1956.

I am sure the K.O.V is not a german marking. 2 point too much. And the missing 3rd, indicate to me it is an attempt to fake a german marking.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X