Zeiss monocular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zeiss monocular

I recently purchased a monocular on ebay.It is marked with the Carl Zeiss Jena trademark,6x,6.7 degree FOV and serial number 175.It appears to attach to some type of rangefinder and has an illuminated reticle.I don't have digital capability yet so if you do a completed item search on ebay for item#250494016362 you will see several photos of the item.Would this monocular be wwII or WWI vintage?Can anyone tell me what it was used on.

Is there a diamond marking btween the 6x and the 6,7? Most likely it's First world war. I've seen this #175 model in other places. It's probably a telescopic accessory for one of the larger artillery rangefinders in use at the time that predated the large Kommandogeraets. The user would view the aircraft and keep it within the view of the monocular while guiding the larger device to stay on the moving aircraft while the other crewmen on the larger device made the height calculations and estimates on the rangefinder.

Monoculars like this were also attached to "Blinkengeraet" light signaling devices. You needed a telescope to be able to see each other's blinking light signals across large distances on the battlefield.
    Last edited by mlespaul; 10-09-2009, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Yes,there is a diamond between the 6x and the 6.7degree markings.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X