Luftwaffe Stero photographic Viewer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe Stero photographic Viewer ?

I have obtained an unusual optical item made by "Schneider" Gottingen.
    It appears to be a sterscopic viewer , giving a 3D effcet to aerial photographs.
    There is no makers code on the item (? Pre-41 ?).
    Objkectives are 70mm diameter, eyepiece occulars are 30mm diameter , its fixed focus , right side prims/lens housing slides to the right.
    Mounting frame is missing ....I have the transit case.
    Werke No.1884 , Fl384460.
    Sach-Nr 135-6002.
    By holding it approx. 4 inches above subject matter the optic brings images into focus in 3D.

If any optics buffs / Luftwaffe experts can tell me anything about this item I would be extremely grateful , would be interested to know what was the design and nature of its mounting frame.
    I can forward jpegs to anyone interested.

Best Wishes to all for Christmas and the New Year.
    james S.

Here we go - posted for James

Last edited by François SAEZ; 08-31-2008, 05:34 AM.
    Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

Last edited by François SAEZ; 08-31-2008, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Ahaa...,

This is a simple instrument to view a set of photo's that forms a stereo model.
              In a stereo model you'll see depth ,which can help you to find buildings.planes or hidden things you won't find on a single photo .

It works like this :
              First adjust the lenses to fit the width of your eyes ,that's important...,it differs for persons..
              Then you'll need 2 photo's of the same area but not taken from the same angle...
              Put your finger on a spot on the left photo under the left lens...then put a finger on the same spot on the right photo..
              When watching through the lenses try to watch your finger with the left eye through the left lens and keep it in place... then moving the right photo towards the right centre of the right lens.
              When both images match you'll have a 3 D image...
              It only works for the area you've in sight...when you want to watch other places on the photo you've to adjust the photo's again in the same way..
              It's all about X and Y movement to have a clear vision...
              I work like this for living ,but in a more complicated form...
              In the past a lot of mathematics was needed..,not any more..!!!
              They invented a Analythical instrument with a lot of software..,thank god for that..
              It's a $ 600.000 instument but with the same principles..but measurements can be done "in the field".."outof the air" within 5 cm from the absolute reality..,very high reliable maps are the result..

When we watch things in life were're always watching in a kind of triangle,2 seperate images...our eyes are +/- 6 cm seperate from eachother and we watch one point all of the time whatever we look at ,that makes the triangle..
              Our brains are used to this triangle and make us see depth ...
              It differs for every person,it's the width of the eyes and the capability of the brains to see it...
              When viewing through a stereo viewer it works different..
              We're watching 2 images but we don't make the triangle...,so,the brains are a bit confused in the beginning..
              The process is now the other way around...
              So,to say it simple ,we trick them by making a photo and then moving 1 yard in the terrain and make another,aiming the same point..
              You see,the triangle to trick the brain..
              Both photo's taken are both eyes actually..
              When we work this way we have about 30% 3D vision in a stereo model.
              The brain can form a image later in 3 D by that..
              So,in the air a plane flies with a certain speed on a certain hight(important),
              They start to make pictures,let's say every 3 seconds..
              Picture 1 and 2 form a 3 D model,pic 2 and 3 too,3 and 4 etc...
              But the plane isn't stabile,loosing height,climbs,wind,shaking etc...
              That's the mathematics needed,formulas etc to make it all match..
              Modern planes have Forward Motion Control in their camera to reduce some movement "blur" in the pictures.....
              Try to make a picture outof a moving car..!
              Every time a picture is taken ,a slide with the film rolls forward and rolls back in place while the plane moves on..,as a matter of fact in this way the plane "stays at one place" in the air the moment the picture is taken and a "frozen" picture is the result..,works well..!

It's a very complicated matter,so I don't go into detail...took me a 5 years study and not every person can do this kind of work ..
              It has nothing to do with how smart you are but with mother nature..,the capability to see depth.The black box...

The instument isn't complete...,but maybe you can work with it this way...
              You have to figure out what height you need for that...
              I think 15/30 cm...,
              You say it's fixed focus...what's the handle for..?

Good luck,
              Jos.
              Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 12-25-2003, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jos.

Jos,
                Thanks for your reply and for giving me some insight into this piece of kit.
                I will have to play around with height etc when time allows...i.e. post Christmas......for the next few days that just won't / can't happen !
                The handle , it extends / retracts the two stell points seem in image 3 , I had thought this was the mechanism for locking it into its mounting frame.
                There is no focal adjustment via the eye cups / eye pieces.
                Will try the cm. height you suggested and see how things go.
                Your advice and experience ..much appreciated.
                If anyone can offer any further I certainly won't say no.

Comment

Originally posted by behblc
                  Jos,
                  Thanks for your reply and for giving me some insight into this piece of kit.
                  I will have to play around with height etc when time allows...i.e. post Christmas......for the next few days that just won't / can't happen !
                  The handle , it extends / retracts the two stell points seem in image 3 , I had thought this was the mechanism for locking it into its mounting frame.
                  There is no focal adjustment via the eye cups / eye pieces.
                  Will try the cm. height you suggested and see how things go.
                  Your advice and experience ..much appreciated.
                  If anyone can offer any further I certainly won't say no.
                  Hi,

I posted a photo album for a friend of mine for a LW photo analyst.

It shows similar optics in use.

Heres the thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=39568

Jim

Comment

Thankyou

Jim,
                    Thanks for the link to the photographs posted by you ...certainly a very great help and very much appreciated.
                    That is the good things about this forum.......help is always freely given and in my case very much appreciated.
                    once agin my sincere thanks and best wishes for 2004.
                    james S

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X