Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Optic

hello

possible no german optic but it would be interesting to find out - time and maker

som paris - no where infos to find.
    maybe someone can help me?

greetings and thank you
    Attached Files

here
    Attached Files

Comment

here
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi again rove,

As I mentioned over on the other forum, I think this is the telescopic attachment to a larger sextant device, and yes, this is French.

SOM markings = SOM Berthiot that was established in mid 1800s and made military optics starting around early 1900s. SOM = Société d'Optique et de Mécanique, or Optical and Mechanical Company.

SOM first made lens and objectives for cameras and movie cameras, then started making binoculars. From 1913, they started making military devices until the 1940s. Some of their products were periscopes for submarines, artillery rangefinders, and various topographic survey instruments and theodolites.

Era that this belongs to is in my opinion First World War or late 1930s.

Is either naval (as a part to a larger navigation device) or part of a binocular rangefinding system.

If it goes to a naval sextant, (which I strongly believe) this particular unit fit over top of the horizontally-mounted compass section. The user looks into this telescope, views the horizon and the objective that the ship is to be directed towards as plotted on the navigation table. The red line or marker inside the objective is the rough aiming mark to turn the telescope towards, which then corresponds to the marker movement on the magnetic compass rosette directly below, giving the ships current position against the proper direction in which to assess the ship's next heading coordinates, and then report that to the navigator.

If a rangefinder or observation glass, it might have gone to a system like this one (but not exacly, this one is 90-degree type):

1929 SOM FlaK Observation

But I tend to still think it is French Navy for navigational survey. The iron sights/quick aim sights along the top of the telescope are the tip off for me - they almost match exactly the German style.

Good luck!
        Last edited by mlespaul; 07-29-2008, 11:20 AM.

Comment

The multiple optic item - that is some set up !

Comment

Yeah, isn't it, though?

Comment

wow

thanks for the detail information!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X