Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binoculars Part 2

more pics

Definitely WWI issue, no doubts. And indeed could have been used by snipers due to large magnification.

Comment

WW1 CZ 10x 50.

Nice set Richard.
      Hans Seeger notes
      " Official Dienstglas in use until the 40's employing Abbe-Koning prism systems. Cast Zinc construction with leatherette covering.
      Optical preformance good.
      Serial number 400466 (ca 1914)
      Serial number 971005 (ca 1918/19).
      From Steve Rohans book.
      Field of view 5 degrees 87 meters at 1000 meters.
      Lens not coated. He notes it to be quite a rare binocular in the U.S.

Nice one
      james S.
      Last edited by behblc; 10-09-2005, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Sorry

Key bporad skills that I have ..my daughter cracks up every time she sees me at the keyboard !

Comment

i remember as a young kid sitting at the window of my grandparents 2nd floor apartment, and looking out across an open field in to the windows of apartments about 400-500 yards away and being able to see what people where doing...( i was only about 10 or so)...with these binos...

Comment

pre WW1 binos

Originally posted by RichardC
            more pics
            Here is some info i got about the binos from www.zeisshistorica.org

To: Richard Campbell
            Sent: Tuesday, September 02,2003 1:51 P.M.
            Subject: Re:

Hi Richard,

These glasses are much earlier than World War II. From the serial number they should be from about 1912 which was the beginning of production of this model. Your glass is the military version of the "Noctar" or 7x50 glass with the Porro II prisms. These were very difficult to manufacture and where made especially for viewing in the darker times of the day such as dawn or twilight. They are a bit fragile and you should look backwards through the objective lens to see if there are any cracks in the prisms.

While there are no exact figures, i would guess that less than 2,000 were made although they were produced until 1922 or so. It was replaced by the Binoctar which is a more typical Porro Prism but using more modern glass from the sister firm of Schott Glass.

I am attaching a catalog page for this item but since there are very few military catalogs, it is for the "Noctar" and the only version that i have is in French..

Feel free to ask more specific questions. The only thing that i cannot give you is a value for the item.

Larry Gubas
            Zeiss Historica

I found this website when i called the Zeiss customer service line and they referred me to it..feel free to access the site to get info on any bino or other Zeiss product questions you may have...BTW i attached the catalog page..if one of you French speaking guys would please decipher it for me i would be greatful..
            Thanks
            Last edited by RichardC; 09-02-2003, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X