Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas mask question

Hello Everyone!

I have a question regarding a German gas mask I have been given.
    Is the cap on the front of the filter supposed to screw off?If it is can anyone give any suggestions as to how I can get mine off because it appears to be stuck fast!
    Also,the cannister has a coat of silvery-grey paint on it,this appears to have been put on after a coat of desert yellow paint and after a coat of olive green paint.I am wondering if the silvery-grey paint is a wartime repaint or if it is a post war job?Although I cannot think of any branch of service that used this type of grey!If anyone can help with the filter or the colour question I would be extremely grateful.Sorry no pics as I don't have a digicam.
    Kind regards,
    Andy

Hi Andy. The filter could have 2 caps. The one on the top screws on, then the filter screws onto the mask. The cap on the bottom would be pried out I believe. I would leave both alone though. Collectors like them to be in place.

Not sure about the color question.
    HC

Comment

Thanks for the reply!Although I was under the impression that if the mask had been used then the filter would have to be replaced,surely this would be made easier by screwing the cap off as opposed to prying it off?Or am i wrong, and the filter stayed in place for the life of the mask?
      Kind regards,
      Andy

Comment

Maybe my english sucka.. and I cant understand something.. but which exactly cap do you mean ??? what type is filter (early, late [with small hole protective cap at the front] ??) maybe some pictures from the net - if tou cannot make a photo..

Silver-grey - hm... sounds like some post war painting.. maybe factory personel.. or civil defence ??

Comment

Mike,
          I've enclosed a scan of the end i mean.Also, the end of the filter that screws into the mask is a dark yellow colour,as is the part of the mask that it screws into,and also the rims of the eyepieces are this colour too.Does this colour on gasmasks have any significance?I thought Afrikakorps,because of the 'sandy' colour,but I'm not that lucky,or am I?
          BTW,the cannister also looks like it had a coat of this dark yellow paint at one time.
          Hope this helps you to help me!
          Kind regards,
          Andy

Comment

OK,this is a scan of the cannister,best I can do until I buy a digital camera!
            Hopefully it will show up the green and yellow colours that were there before the mysterious grey was applied!
            Anybody know what (if any) branch of the military the grey is for?
            Hope you can help!
            Kind regards,
            Andy

Comment

Hello !!
              and what type is gasmask ?? canvas ?? rubber ??? and what year of production is

sounds like it's a tropical issue gasmask - tan painted metal parts. ?!
              This grey colour on case really sucks - but this tan under it is much better.. Cant say for sure..
              As i remember helmets were always in fabric green and then repainted in tan (there was no fabric tan painting) .. was it the same for gasmasks ?? tan over fabric green colour ??

This green colour on the filter is typical continental (flter is 41 type) - but filters were replaced - and to find a date (set) matching gasmask and a filter it not too common
              just.. my few cents..

Comment

About Your cap question: this is photo of (from the left) M41 filter with cap on, M41 without cap, and M37 filter.. maybe that helps

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X