A Canadian Veteran War Souvenir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Canadian Veteran War Souvenir

A pair of field glasses for your review. While I was having a conversation with someone at work, another co-worker walking past overheard that I collected German and Canadian militaria from WWII. She said that her father had brought back a pair of German binnoculars and if I was interested, I could have them! She brought them to work and gave them to me, and while examining the 6X30 glasses I asked if she knew of any background information on them. She recounted to me what her dad, who served in the Canadian Infantry during the war had told her when she was a child. Fighting near Caen, he was directed to check out a knocked out German tank. He climbed on top and found the entire crew dead inside. Whatever his reasons, he reached inside and removed these field glasses from around the neck of the tank commander, who had no more use for them. That was as much as my co-worker, who has since left the company, could tell me. Knowing her as I did, she is not given to deviating from the facts in all things, so when she told me the story as she remembered it, I fully believed her. Her father had passed away over twenty years ago at the time and and as far as she knew this was the only war booty he brought back with him from Europe.

On a technical note, if one looks through the glasses, the right occular has the scale for calculating distance. I drew a picture of the scale and scanned it as well. I'm not sure if binnoculars of this type issued to the ground troops also incorporated this scale, but it certainly makes sense for a tank commander.

It had no leather cap attached to the neck strap for covering and protecting the eyepieces, if it did have one it might have come off and been lost, or her dad may have subsequently removed it. Either way, I later found one for sale and slipped it in place.

The tongue for buttoning it to the chest is marked fvy on the right hand side and 41 on the left.

That's it, 10 pics, hope you enjoy them. All questions and comments are welcome.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Nice gift you got there. Sometimes the leather neck strap is also marked with a maker and date near rivits.

Comment

Very nice Binoculars Willi !!! good condition.. untouched ...

Comment

Hi Will,

That is an fascinating piece of provenance for how these field glasses ended up in Canada.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Great score on the binos.

Nice to see them with all the correct accessories.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X