Lubricant markings on optical equipments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lubricant markings on optical equipments

I would like to hear opinions from you binocular experts.

I had been thinking one clue to tell the manufactured date of German military optical equipments is their lubricant markings. It is known that the Wehrmacht adopted several types of cold-resistant greases according to their inexperience with extraordinary cold-temperature, especially at the Eastern front. Improvements were continued from early to late war and according to the newly adopted cold-resistant grease, new marking was applied on the optical equipments. The marking is as the following.

1. "K.F."
    The earliest marking seen on optics. It indicates the optic is lubricated with cold resistant grease "Invarol", which is said to be serviceable to -20 degrees C. I have heard this grease was adopted on <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:date Month="5" Day="27" Year="1940">27th May 1940</st1:date> (Have not yet confirmed it myself).

2. "O" (hellblaue Kreisfläche or light blue circle)
    The next marking indicated new cold resistant grease, Vacuum grease (Vakuumfett) 1416, suitable for use under lower temperatures as to -40 degrees C. The earliest document referring to this "O" is the German manual for winter warfare "Taschenbuch für den Winterkrieg", first version dated <st1:date Month="8" Day="5" Year="1942">5th August 1942</st1:date>.

3. "+" (hellblaues Kreuz or light blue cross)
    It seems that the Vakuumfett 1416 was somehow turned out to be unsatisfied soon, since on the revised version of the "Taschenbuch für den Winterkrieg" dated <st1:date Month="11" Day="1" Year="1942">1st November 1942</st1:date>, another marking "+" was mentioned. Although there is no explanation for the reason of the adoption, it is said that with the mark the instrument is perfectly serviceable to -40 degrees C and "in Zukunft wird das gesamte Beobachtungs und Vermessungsgerät des Heeres nur mit Instrumentenfett 1442 gefettet (in the future, all observation and surveying instruments of the Army will be only lubricated with instrument grease 1442)".

4. Light blue triangle
    Yet, another marking appeared in the late 1943. I have not been able to find any document referring to the "triangle", the name of the grease and its suitability. But I have heard it was suitable for use between -40 degrees C and 50 degrees C.

Although the exact date of the grease adoption at the factory could be different by manufacturers, it is clear that they were adopted in this order. The date of the document does not show the exact date of the adoption, but one can assume they are nearby. So this leads me to a very rough estimation of the manufactured date of the optical equipments according to the lubricant markings.
    K.F. : 1940-41
    O : 1942
    + : 1942-43-44 (mainly in 1943)
    Triangle : 1943-44-45 (mainly in 1944)

Another thing to mention. It is known that the marking was often added later when the instrument was repaired or maintained and re-greased. So it is not rare to see optics with double, or more, lubricant markings applied. But if one knows which marking is the earliest and can tell it is original from the factory, he can assume its rough date from my estimation. The study of the other markings on the instruments about its pattern and variation would help this.

I don't have enough information yet. If you have any information (or original documents) on these lubricant markings especially about "K.F." and "Triangle", please let me know. And any opinion is greatly appreciated.

Regards, Ken<O</O

Great information Ken! Nicely presented.

What do you know about green or white triangles and white "+"s? I don't think I have ever seen a green "O" or a green "+", but have seen green triangles on zf4 scopes. I have also seen white "+"s on zf42 scopes.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I have here one zf41 with only K marking
      Z.F. 1,5x1,3°(K), Busch, Rathenow

Comment

The color of the lubricant markings

Peter R. Senich says in his book "The German Sniper 1914-1945" that the color of the triangle (on GwZF4 scopes) represent the reliable function limits of each device in various climates. White for normal weather conditions in central <ST1Europe</ST1, green for tropical, and blue for extreme cold weather. But he says nothing about where his information came from, and I have not been able to find any original source on "white" and "green". I have a little doubt on those colors since I have some questions. Why did they have to use three types of lubricant in 1944 when the front was getting nearer to the German border? And why almost every GwZF4 have blue triangle and not white? Of course, I have heard of those colors on some optics but those seem to be rare examples.
        <O</OIf someone have further information, please let me know.
        Regards, Ken

Comment

softail,
          You have the earliest version of ZF41 type scope made by Emil Busch. They have no scope designation but only "Z.F.". A little later, "Busch Rathenow" was switched into maker code "cxn" with the other markings almost unchanged. "(K)" is always seen as "1,5 x 1,3°(K)". Richard D. Law presumes in his book "Backbone of the Wehrmacht Volume II" that the "(K)" stands for "Kältefest" but I am not sure. The next "cxn" version has "K.F." marking originally together.
          BTW, I am collecting data of ZF41 markings. Please let me know the serial number of your Busch scope. I guess it is below "Rathenow"?
          <O</OHere is the list I am making.
          http://homepage3.nifty.com/zielfernr...41database.pdf

Is the "(K)" seen on binoculars or other optics?

Comment

THe "K" wasnt seen defenitly on binos, by binos is no different by the color of the lubrication code. Often you see on tan colord binos a green triangels. with, blue green or no color.its the same by binos.
            By scopes I have no idea!!

Comment

From the various optics I have had or have I have the following markings:

Rundblickfernrohr (FlaK) made by djg with the "KF"
              Richtkreis-Kollimator 12M with "KF" marking
              Entfernungsmesser 34 by Busch Rathanow with "+" (painted over)
              Richtkreis 31 by cme with "kf" (painted over)
              ZF4 by ddx with "triangle" no color

Comment

Hi
                I own a jve ZF41 with a blue (or greenish?) circle.
                Regards
                Ace

Comment

Thanks for your info.

benutzer,
                  I guess meaning of the markings on binoculars and rifle scopes are basically same. Do you mean the color of the marking has no meaning? Perhaps, no more than just to highlighten the marking?
                  And what do you think about the estimation of manufactured date?

Comment

Good stuff.

Ken that's good information you have posted up , found it very informative. Thank you.
                    To date I can only think of two sets I have with lubrication marks (KF apart) one blue circle on a 6x30 set and a triangle on another.
                    Cheers
                    james s

Comment

From Steve Rohan's " Blue book", lubricant codes but no dates, and from Dr. Hans Seeger's "Grey Book".
                      O -20 degrees C. " gerate die eine ausgelegate hellblaue kreisflache tragen mit Batuumett 1416 oder einem Fett mit gleichen kalteeigenfchaften gefettet. Diefe gerate find bis -40 c einwandfrei bedienbar.

+ -40 ( degrees) C. 1/11/42. Gerate die hellblaus (+) in derRahe des Firmenzeidens tragen, find bis -40 c einwandfrei zu bedienen.
                      (TRIANGLE) -40 (degrees) C to + 50 ( degrees) C.

X not covered in Hans's book.
                      K.F. (kalte Fett). Cold-resistant lubricant.

My german is almost as bad as my english .

Comment

behblc, thank you for your info. I have heard of Dr.Seeger's great book on optics and thought there might be more info on lubricant markings. But it seems they are almost from the winter manual I have mentioned.

BTW, I have forgotten to mention another marking which can be thought as displaying another type of lubricant. That is red "X". I have seen it on DF10x80 large Flak binoculars. I have never seen it on rifle scopes and perhaps not on other Dienstglas binoculars. Anyone have any info?

Comment

Red X.

Ken, Found this note in Dr Steve Rohans "Red Book" "Eyes of the Wehrmacht" subject of which is 10x80 binoculars .

X ( Red) lubricant code , indicates the binocular was returned to be refurbished amd new lubricant were added to replace the earlier K.F. type.

A beh marked 10x80 I have has both a circle (white) and a red X as lubricant codes.
                          Have a close up of it somewhere stuck in some some obscure corner of my h.d..
                          james s
                          Last edited by behblc; 12-16-2005, 08:15 PM.

Comment

@ Kent
                            I guess meaning of the markings on binoculars and rifle scopes are basically same. I think so but the German had at this time many greazy ideas so....
                            Do you mean the color of the marking has no meaning? By the binos 100% not
                            Perhaps, no more than just to highlighten the marking? YES
                            And what do you think about the estimation of manufactured date? Sounds great!

Comment

I looked yesterday once more to one of my zf41 and this stood

It is one busch Rathenow with 1.5x1,3*(K)
                              under the sn this stands , blue O

greetings Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X