binocular case maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

binocular case maker

Performed a forum search that came up empty. Same using Google Fu. I was hoping to get some information on the manufacturer of this Bakelite binocular case. One of the leather belt loops is stamped WaA14 at the bottom which would be for a Becker & Co., Berlin 1942. I'm not sure if they just supplied the leather for these behälter or are the manufacturer.

The symbol on the spring loaded clasp is a circle with pyramid.

20200302_211226.jpg

If I remember right, someone made the steel fittings, someone the leather and someone the Bakelite case. Look inside the case bottom and see if there's any details - I think that's where the case info is.

Comment

Something like this site shows;

https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/MPADmarks.html

Comment

Sgt Bilko,

What an incredibly arduous process if that's the case. See what I did there? Thank you as I did not even note the marking inside. Based on the great link, the press werk is the top marking and bottom would be material type although I'm not seeing a match to a firm. Filler is very likely sawdust.
        20200811_151419.jpg

Comment

I like what you did there! I'll see if I've any notes but you're right - the symbol doesn't give much away. I'm sure I read that the red cases (which sell for much more than the black) have more sawdust in the mix and are more brittle. Maybe this explains their rarity...

Comment

Thanks for helping me. I'd really like to catalog this correctly mainly for my family in case I keel over but also to learn more on optics. I very luckily have one of the brown cases on layaway. I find the brown cases much more visually appealing and they definitely command a higher price. Same metal maker marks on this brown case with the higher sawdust filler content.

DSC_0073-5-scaled (1).jpg

Comment

Nice - part of me envies you as I've never had a brown one (although I've had many blacks) but, being a tightwad prohibits me from paying the increased cost. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Comment

WaA14-refers to a given person who was an official, each of such officials had their own WAA number,
                once I do not remember whether he was wearing glasses or binoculars, he tried to make a WA map.
                no one knows what "triangle in a circle" means, but it appears on the fastening of pgaz cans from 1939. a few years ago there was a suggestion that they are junkers because they are similar, but only passes.
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junker...G_(emblem).png

Comment

You're right - the WaA was the stamp of the individual inspector but, as he tended to quality assure specific items, we talk of the WaA in relation to the companies checked by him. I doubt Junkers were making the closing clasps though - they had bigger fish to fry.

Comment

I do have binoculars but I was searching best long distance binoculars. And it led me to this post about the case maker. I actually do want a case for it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X