No announcement yet.

Luftwaffe Flight school binoculars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're nice and genuine although a UK seller (who sends out a mailing list) recently sold one as "obviously fake markings". Sadly, by the time I saw his error, they were sold to some lucky guy for peanuts.

Comment

Another well known U.K. binoculars dealer thought his was a fake and gave it to a friend to sell at my local boot fair just got there in time to see a very happy collector pay £20!

Comment

I don't think it is likely that Fl. Sch. means flight school. My guess is Flak Scheinwerfer - Antiaircraft searchlight.

Comment

Some information on a similar looking pair.

Doppelfernrohr D.F. 7x50, produced by Carl Zeiss Jena in December 1940, destined for the Flieger Schule, or one of the 63 pilot schools of the Luftwaffe.
          On the left eyepiece part are the manufacturer brand Carl Zeiss Jena, the enlargements D.F. 7x50 and the letter (T), or "Transparenzbelag", which indicates that the lenses are coated with an anti-reflective treatment which improved the transmission of light by 80% in the lenses. This system was developed and patented on November 1, 1935 by Aleksander Smakula, a member of the Zeiss staff of Jena since 1934.
          On the plate of the right eyepiece there is the Adler Luftwaffe with the letters "Fl. Sch." or classic abbreviation of Flieger Schule (Pilot School).
          Through the right eyepiece you can see a cross reticle that goes from -32 ° to + 32 ° / 16 ° with multiples of 8 °.

Watching the item.
          https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...7-abff00fe5a8b

Comment

Thanks everyone really useful knowledge

Comment

I wonder why a flight school would need a reticled binocular? Here's some dope I found online;

http://www.niehorster.org/011_germany/_abbr-air.html

Fl Flieger- Aviation

(Sch) Schlachtflieger Ground Support
              Santitäts-Flugbereitschaft Medivac (Medical Air Evacuation Flight)
              Seenot Air-Sea Rescue
              Seenotstaffel Air-Sea Rescue Squadron

Comment

Interesting Binocular, I have only seen and held one in the early 80s

Andy

Comment

That binocular would be nice to my Oberfähnrich from Flightschool

Andy IMG_0554 (kopia).jpeg IMG_4338.JPG

Comment

If it has a reticule then it is made for aiming purposes, so imo Binoswede is correct.

Comment

I thought Scheinw u. Fluwa marked Zeiss binoculars were for searchlight and sound locator units - why would they need another abbreviation? Just use the same abbreviation with a Luftwaffe Eagle rather than the more common KM Eagle...

Comment

What would a reticule equipped bino be used for training pilots in a flight school?

The bomb aiming devices are very specialized and no doubt they used real ones or maybe a simplified systems while learning that specialty?

Comment

If you read my earlier post you'll see I asked that very question...

Comment

Yes you did, and still nobody has an answer to that!
                            Had this question come up some years ago, I could have asked a person that had the answer, but he has joined his friends in Valhalla.

Comment

My condolences but, unless someone finds something in an archive, we may never know for sure.

Seems they made at least two batches - one beginning 196xxxx and uncoated and the OP pair coated and T marked beginning 211xxxx.
                              Last edited by Sgt Bilko; 08-02-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X