E. Leitz Wetzlar 8X30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E. Leitz Wetzlar 8X30

I acquired these E. Leitz Wetzlar 8X30 Binux serial number 484339 (I believe these are very early postwar and perhaps even made with wartime material or parts) that are in very good condition, from a reenactor who added a reproduction lens cover, a neck strap, and a buttonhole securing device. The right lens is clear, the left is clear in the middle but has some cobweb looking stuff around the edges. I will be 67 next month and I could read a small sign a block away with them.
    My question is, are these worth anything to a collector or should I sell them to someone in the reenacting field? If I was to sell to a collector I could keep the reproduction accessories and sell them to a reenactor. Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_0372 (2).JPG IMG_0367 (2).JPG IMG_0368 (2).JPG IMG_0369 (2).JPG IMG_0370 (2).JPG

Yes, this binocular is an early post-war manufactured civilian model. But this post raises some interesting questions:
    1. Did Leitz/beh manufacture any military 8x30's during the war? It's possible but I don't recall ever seeing any and if they did they would be rare.
    2. Did Leitz or any other manufacturer ever mark binocular neckstraps with their name (or 3 letter code), year and WaA stamp? The only maker I know who did this was Srb & Stys who often marked them with the bmk code and year. I've never seen a WaA stamp on a neckstrap.
    3. I've seen Regenschutzdeckels with makers' names/codes, WaA stamps and possibly years but not like the Leitz one shown above. Is it an accurate reproduction?

Comment

I have no idea where he acquired the accessories but they seem to be well made reproductions.

Comment

I've never seen a WaA stamp on a neckstrap

I'm sure I've some - they certainly marked the button flaps so why not?

Comment

I have seen numerous original WaA marked straps. They certainly existed!

Comment

Thanks for that - I was begining to wonder if I'd had too much juice...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X