Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question - Gestell 31

I have two questions:
    What is the function for the hook below/between the tripod legs?
    It is 30 cm long.
    The second question is about the stamp - below the Eagle, there is an ‘M’.
    Below this ‘M’ there are a four, very unclear letters (?).
    What could the letters be, and what meaning?

They look like \ V / ‘smudge’.

I am unable to see any other writing on the tripod. Original unmolested, very good condition, but no transport covers.

it was included in a mixed lot in an US auction, lots of (for me) rubbish, had only the tripod, a pair of very old snow shoes, an 150 lb scale and three shooting stools/ walking sticks sent.
    50 USD.

Hi Thier,

Reference the " M " below the eagle it is usually associated with German Naval Equipments etc. Photographs would be nice to support the post..........but like the rest of us you may be getting used to the new site

( Not a barbed comment, as so far the Moderators have been remarkably polite about some of the "comments" and are making changes requested as fast as possible. Well done to all in the background saving this resource).

Comment

Hook? You do also find it at tripods made today.
      https://tripodyssey.com/why-do-camer...n-the-bottom/#

Comment

So it can be used to stabilize. Clever!

Comment

To use the hook to stabilize is a good idea for leight weight modern equipment.
          It takes a stiff breeze to blow away a 10x80 with bussole and tripod though.
          I remember we had those hooks on our "kompassvinkelmätare" , a sort of theodolite with a build in compass to measure in the howitzers in the battery.
          A small weigt with a point facing downwards was hung with a string on the hook. It was used to center the instrument exactly over a given meassured in point.
          If you need this on binocular I don't know, but perhaps it had to do with directing fire in the AA- battery.

Comment

We put a modern Aluminium cradle and a 12x80 on it just to test, and felt the tripod was not strong enough. The G.38 is what we will use for those heavy ones.
            The G.31 we discovered is of the normal type, so not the reinforced one. Light duty.

I think it is suitable for a more standard weight binocular, but only after I have made an 'anti splaying' device for the legs. The leg tension can be adjusted, but I do not want to risk scratching or chipping the old paint.
            I need to figure out how to post pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Binoswede View Post
              To use the hook to stabilize is a good idea for leight weight modern equipment.
              It takes a stiff breeze to blow away a 10x80 with bussole and tripod though.
              I remember we had those hooks on our "kompassvinkelmätare" , a sort of theodolite with a build in compass to measure in the howitzers in the battery.
              A small weigt with a point facing downwards was hung with a string on the hook. It was used to center the instrument exactly over a given meassured in point.
              If you need this on binocular I don't know, but perhaps it had to do with directing fire in the AA- battery.
              If the tripod "seems" too light for the larger binocular, i would concur that the use of the hook is for the purpose above and whilst surveying. As stated this is still done today with some survey instruments. The hanging wieght will not only allow you to place the tripod exactly over the survey datum, but by using the exact length of cord you will also set the instrument to the same high as it was before plus or minus an acceptable tolerance. I see this all the time as they teach survey at my workplace.

Comment

Today I had a bit of time in my hands, and Googled a bit. I found pictures that showed the ‘reinforced’ G.31 with what seemed to be a battery box hanging underneath.
                No photos of the ‘normal’ G.31 with anything dangling below it though.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X