Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGZ40 opinions please

Hello

A friend would like to buy this sight but would like to have your opinions about it

Thank you for your help

Best regards

no problem with this one

Comment

Originally posted by Nigromontanus View Post
      no problem with this one
      Thank you Nigromontanus.

Do you know why there not the writing "Gelandwinkel"?

Comment

This is a late one (though not very late, there is also simplified version, of which cxn made only a few). Late ones do not bear much writing anymore. There were also differences between makers.

Comment

the right is the simplified one. the **** needed to be dusted anyway. That being said, I wrote it only because I love when my words are being put to stars
          Attached Files

Comment

Your MGZ are amazing!! Love to see these pieces, I will like to have one even if it is not my first collection
            What the meaning of the "+", "O" or the triangle on the germans optics?
            Last edited by Gw43; 06-01-2020, 01:08 PM.

Comment

The symbols refer to what kind of lubricant was used, or more specifically, the temperature it could withstand before it froze solid.
              K.F - up to 1942 -20C
              Light blue Circle. 1942 -40C
              Light blue Cross. 1942 to 1944. - 40C
              Light blue Triangle. 1943 and in. -50C estimated

Multiple symbols are imprinted because they changed the lubricants when the optics were serviced. The symbols are a good rough indication for how many times they went back to the optical service.

The Russian and Nordic winters can get cold. The Germans should have known that, but for some reason forgot the optics.
              Same with all engines. They had huge problems with the frozen engines.
              Last edited by Lauritz; 06-01-2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lauritz View Post
                The symbols refer to what kind of lubricant was used, or more specifically, the temperature it could withstand before it froze solid.
                K.F - up to 1942 -20C

Multiple symbols are imprinted because they changed the lubricants when the optics were serviced. The symbols are a good rough indication for how many times they went back to the optical service.

The Russian and Nordic winters can get cold. The Germans should have known that, but for some reason forgot the optics.
                Same with all engines. They had huge problems with the frozen engines.
                Thank you those very interessant informations !!!

Comment

Many of the optics were used post -45 by various armed forces in Europe, and when they lubed them, they used their own lubricants of various quality.
                  We recently bought one DDR made ZJ Asembi ( 20-40/80) made 1960’ -70’s in mint condition, and the lubricants were horribly gummed up.

Even in the 70’s when I served, we had problems with the CZ binos during the winters, the ‘action’ became stiff.
                  We had to wear them under the clothes, which created other problems.

I have always wondered why they just did not remove ALL lubricants, and created a ‘dry’ bino just before the winter.
                  Yes, one extra service in spring to lube them, which maybe they did not want!

No issue with humidity of water ingress during a Nordic or Soviet winter.

Sorry to be off topic and blab insanely!

Comment

Many of the optics were used post -45 by various armed forces in Europe, and when they lubed them, they used their own lubricants of various quality.
                    We recently bought one DDR made ZJ Asembi ( 20-40/80) made 1960’ -70’s in mint condition, and the lubricants were horribly gummed up.

Even in the 70’s when I served, we had problems with the CZ binos during the winters, the ‘action’ became stiff.
                    We had to wear them under the clothes, which created other problems.

I have always wondered why they just did not remove ALL lubricants, and created a ‘dry’ bino just before the winter.
                    Yes, one extra service in spring to lube them, which maybe they did not want!

No issue with humidity of water ingress during a Nordic or Soviet winter.

Sorry to be off topic and blab insanely!
                    You don't, it's interessant to know this things, about post war life of these otpics! It must have been a real mess to use them...

Comment

K.F - up to 1942 -20C
                      I heard those before but where did you get this info? Any official sources?

Comment

I learned them from Dr Seegers excellent book.
                        The Bible.....

I think we can count Dr Seeger as an official source.

No doubt it is all over Internet though.
                        Last night I went back and checked the info, and the Triangle is stated to indicate a lubricant with a range of -40C to 50C.

So I assume the previous lubricant became to runny in high temperatures.
                        It was difficult to design a lubricant with a specific viscosity over a wide temperature range
                        Automotive multi grade engine lubricants became widely available fairly recently, was it in the early 70’s?

I wonder what temp range is in the lubes used today by the bino technicians?
                        Last edited by Lauritz; 06-02-2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X