Completely refurbish or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely refurbish or not?

I have a pair of 'blc' marked binoculars that my father liberated from the U-Boat pens in Brest in September 1944. They are in need of having the optics cleaned and I am going to send them off for that service. I can also opt to have them completely refurbished.

I grew up with these being taken to sporting events, out on the boat, and other outings by my father. He had other binoculars too, but these were his favorites. They probably have more scuffs and wear now, but they look the same to me today as they did when I was a child.

Would having them completely redone (repainted, re-skinned, dents and dings corrected etc.) harm their value? I really have no idea what they are worth now and I don't plan on selling them. I know they will be worth at least what the cost of the repairs are if that gets another 75+ years out of them.

I've attached some pictures. You can see the mold debris on the optics.
    Attached Files

They are in nice shape cosmetically so I’d just get them restored optically.

They are only original once.

The dents n dings tell a story that would disappear if you had them repainted etc.

Glen
    Collector of Wehrmacht Optics, Ordnance & Field Equipment.

Comment

The value after restoration would equal any cheap japanese binocular. They will have little to no collector value afterwards.

Economically, it would be cheaper to buy some 1980 vintage japanese bino for everyday use. Around here, you can get such bino´s for £ 20-30.-

Apart from that, to me, they look like they have been repainted at some point allready.

If you do send them for refurbishment, do yourself a favor and find someone who knows those watertight oculars. They are easy to damage if not disassembled correctly. They are not in any way a common design.

Good luck with it. But do consider the cheap japanese bino alternative.
      ( I have a few of this model and I use a cheap japanese or german bino for everyday use. I have 6-7 such cheap one´s.)

Comment

It interesting that an earlier leather ocular cover has been put on them

Comment

Originally posted by Mikedenmark View Post
          The value after restoration would equal any cheap japanese binocular. They will have little to no collector value afterwards.

Economically, it would be cheaper to buy some 1980 vintage japanese bino for everyday use. Around here, you can get such bino´s for £ 20-30.-

Apart from that, to me, they look like they have been repainted at some point allready.

If you do send them for refurbishment, do yourself a favor and find someone who knows those watertight oculars. They are easy to damage if not disassembled correctly. They are not in any way a common design.

Good luck with it. But do consider the cheap japanese bino alternative.
          ( I have a few of this model and I use a cheap japanese or german bino for everyday use. I have 6-7 such cheap one´s.)
          I have more modern/less expensive binoculars I use for work and my boat. I just bought a new set of Steiners for my boat as an upgrade.

To me these are/are not a collector's item. These are something my dad brought home. They are a part of my childhood and I know the story of where they came from. I'm not a collector beyond the war trophy items that my dad left me (he also gave some stuff away that I would like to have back, but that's another conversation). I'm not selling any of it. What my kids do with it after I'm gone is up to them. I'll just be sure they know the history of everything I have. I asked if the restoration would diminish their value mostly because I know my kids don't have much interest in WW-II. I was asking about diminishing their $ value for when they pass from me and my kids consider selling them.

I would like to see them optically usable and correct. The crud growing inside them wasn't there when I was a kid 50 years ago. The place I am thinking about sending them is who Zeiss and Swarovski recommends here in the US for such repairs/restorations. Zeiss and Swarovski (Habicht) in Europe apparently don't work on binoculars this old.

I agree with whsammler and I think they will remain as they are cosmetically. They have not been repainted as far as I know. Could my father have done that? sure, but I don't think he did.

Originally posted by nickn View Post
          It interesting that an earlier leather ocular cover has been put on them
          Do tell? I've seen some with a bakelite cover in pictures via Google. I was thinking the leather cover was something newer. The leather hardshell case for these deteriorated years ago. I don't know if that was the original or one my dad got post war.

Comment

I just hope you get a result that works for you.
            I was worried that you might expect them to increase, or maintain, their value after a rework. Something I believe is a misconception, albeit one I have met before.
            Friend of mine found a super rare Zeiss bino couple of months back. He insisted on "cleaning" it, before selling it. I did not bother to even take a look after that. But ebay, the big trash can, worked flawlessly in this case. Everybody is happy, and the world moves on, down one good bino.

I do not own a boat, but if I did, I would not dare to bring a Steiner. As a friend of mine told me, the "plotch" sound, when his teenage daughter and her friend, dropped his, hurt him bad. They were told to be carefull, but to no avail. Since then, a plotch on his boat amounts to £ 30.- max.
            Last edited by Mikedenmark; 05-12-2020, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I guess I'm looking at this like I own a classic car or a vintage watch that needs service. The crud that is growing on the inside wasn't there when I was a kid. I grew up with them and I'm just trying to maintain them, keep them running, so to speak.

The Steiners I bought, were on sale and are an entry level Marine model that are waterproofed/resistant. I got this "anti-plotch/plotch recovery" neck-strap just in case.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by smokycity; 05-12-2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I would have them fully ‘done’ inside, and not do much on the outside, apart from a very careful and gentle removal of as much as possible from the Oxide, then cover those areas with a suitable product to stop further deterioration.
                It looks like the outside is in a remarkably nice condition., be it original or redone.

What brand is that floating neck strap?

Comment

I agree with Lauritz

Comment

Anti plotch device. Nice. (I don´t know if plotch is right. I think, I picked the word up from a Gilbert Sheldon comic book. Ain´t exactly Oxford english)
                    Besides, who let their teenage kid handle a bino that is not tied to something.

Comment

Originally posted by Lauritz View Post
                      I would have them fully ‘done’ inside, and not do much on the outside, apart from a very careful and gentle removal of as much as possible from the Oxide, then cover those areas with a suitable product to stop further deterioration.
                      It looks like the outside is in a remarkably nice condition., be it original or redone.

What brand is that floating neck strap?
                      This is what I was thinking after starting this thread. I want them to be optically correct/fixed. They're a family heirloom to me.

The floating strap is by Pioneer Research. I got it from West Marine, but it probably can be had from other retailers too. It's a kind of the Mae West Belt of neck straps. Steiner makes one too that is more streamline but costs more.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. It has given me food for thought. I don't post here often. However when I do come to ask questions it's aways helpful.

Comment

The product I can recommend to stop further oxidation of the Al alloy is made by Everbrite Coatings.
                          ProtectaClear Satin should do a good job and not be visible.

I have no affiliation with that company.

Comment

I have a pair of the "smooth ocular" Zeiss. I had mine internally serviced (dis-assemble, clean, collimate) I specifically asked him not to touch the exterior.
                            They work very well, and are a pleasure to use and carry.

If you would like the info on the two shops that I trust to do repairs, PM me.

Comment

Please include me in the PM.
                              I only know of Cory S.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X