No announcement yet.

Luftwaffe Waffenrock (Flak Obergefreiter) for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a follow up. Went ahead and bought this from Mike Davis of The Virtual Grenadier.

Adding some pictures of it on a mannequin. The only history with it is that it was bought by a US collector in the 90's and had sat in his collection for approximately the last 20 years. As there is no way of knowing how long the pin on ribbon bar has been on I added a ribbon bar more appropriate to a late 1939 - 1940 impression (War Merit Cross 2nd class with swords & October 1938 'Czech Occupation' medal with Prague bar), a time period perhaps when this type of uniform was seen more than it might have been later in the war. The ribbon bar was bought from Mario Hiscoll.

On the lower left arm, although not obvious in a photograph, you can clearly see that a trade patch (possibly Flak) had previously been there, complete with 3 - 4 remaining threads. I added a mint condition cloth Flak artillery trade/ proficiency patch (for 9 months service) in the exact place where the previous badge had been (placed but not sewn down yet). Thanks to John at "German War Booty" for that!

To the existing award loops I added an SA Sports badge and a DRL Sports badge, appropriate for an early war 'look'. As the Flak badge wasn't instituted until January 1941 I didn't think that was appropriate, similarly with the ribbon bar previously on, the 'Winter 41/ 42 medal wasn't issued until May 1942.

The Flak visor is a near mint 1938 made cap. More pictures here:-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=821529

The belt is a zinc buckle 'parade belt' that came together from a Bavarian family, picked it up from Malcolm Wagner . More pics here:-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=782344

The (unmarked) shoulder board buttons are the smaller type, which seems quite common if not standard for these type of uniforms. The other buttons are mainly marked "E. Schneider, Ludenscheid", but the front top button is marked "SZ 38", and the lower pocket buttons are both marked "SZ 39". The thread looks like they all went on at the same time.

Interestingly, the right top pocket has been tacked down with thread as the breast eagle has been sewn over the button hole slightly. On looking around on WAF and elsewhere at other examples this practice seems quite common, and from wartime pictures the low eagle placement seems very typical. I think that this indicates that even as the Waffenrock was being introduced it was already defaulting to a replacement for the Tuchrock (as you can see with the lapels pressed back it looks almost identical to a Tuchrock), i.e 'best dress' where a non-functional pocket didn't matter. The original intention of the Waffenrock was of course to replace both the Tuchrock and Fliegerbluse, something that never happened in practice.

The white shirt (for walking out dress, as opposed to light-blue/ "hell-blau" for service dress) and black cotton tie are reproductions () from Zib militaria for now.

Regards, Paul
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PaulW; 09-25-2015, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Luftwaffe set.

Very nice set, I love the cap ! ...;

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X