No announcement yet.

LW Berg v. M43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an M-43, as Bill describes it. Early 43's can have attributes of Bergmützes, and this cap has many of them.

regards,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

And.....there is a reason it has no cockade......
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Okay, I'll bite. What makes a Bergmuetze a Bergmuetze? "M43" means it was designed in 1943 which we all know, but the Bergmuetze type of cap has been in use since at least 1940. Why would they make an M43 early and late style, when it's characteristics are clearly either that of a Bergmuetze or not? I always learn something from this place.
        WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

hi Gene,

You know the answer. Bergmützes were made from 1939 (the earliest I've seen) through early 1943. It's obvious that caps with dates of manufacture between 1939 through 1942 cannot be M-43 caps. Caps with these dates all have vent grommets and do NOT have the fabric loops above the ears on the fold down flaps.

It's only reasonable to assume that the German industry, which never wasted anything, used up pre-cut fabric and short bills during the transition to M-43 period. Grommets? These could be used elsewhere; I've never seen a 43 with grommets. Again, some early 43's do have short bills, single buttons, and rounded flaps, BUT they do not have grommets and they DO HAVE the fabric loops over the ears. The quanity of these 'hybrids' probably differed within makers depending how much existing stocks they had to use up.

This is just my theory, and I'm sticking to it,........ until someone finds the original production orders.....

Gene, why are not all 43's made the same? Some late war (1944 dated) ones are found with a narrow front closure, while others are found with a wide flap that sometimes covers the cockade.

Here is an early 1943 dated Bergmütze.

Regards,
          John
          Attached Files
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Here is an M-43 with front closure narrow enough not to obscure the cockade.
            Attached Files
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thanks for the lesson John! I have these types of headgear also, and enjoy them greatly......am also fascinated by their introduction and why (Luft Bergmützen).

John, you mention 1939 as the year of introduction. By the Heer? Or the Luftwaffe?

I have an opinion as to why the Luftwaffe adopted the Bergmützen. Some photos taken of Fallschirmjägers travelling to Narvik by boat in 1940 show them wearing Heer Bergmützen. I have a FJ photo album that shows numerous photos of them wearing Heer BMs. Is it possible that after this campaign the Luftwaffe saw the need for this type of Headgear? Would like to hear other opinions.

Willi
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willi,

I don't know when the Luftwaffe introduced their Bergmütze, but long ago I saw one dated 1939.

Here is an officer's M-43, no vent grommets, and it has the ear loops. Otherwise it looks very much like a Berg..

Willi, as to needing something stronger than coffee...so correct. You bring it, I'll drink it!

Best,
                John
                Attached Files
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Gentlemen,
                  Tell me more about the "earloops",what's the use ?
                  Never got a straight answer to that question.
                  By normal wear the loops are hidden,when the cap is unfolded they hang on both sides of your neck....
                  ????????

Jos.

Comment

Hi Bill,
                    If your theory is correct, wouldn't be difficult to turn your head, from side to side, with the cap attached to the collar?

Best,
                    John
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Speaking of ...

What do you gentlemen think of this Luftwaffe officer's bergmutze featured on this website I just found:

LW Officer's Bergmutze

Mike

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

One thing's for sure,he has some great pricetags !!!

Jos.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X